Bike for sale; test drive or not?

ixl247

I wouldn't let anybody ride it without a signed agreement, with witness, stating if they wreck it.....they buy it, for your full asking price

Cleaner......Did I hear you're an attorney? Would this hold up in court, as I've been told?

if they have the cash, definitely, you hold the cash, they get the keys...

they bring the bike back in the same condition it left, and decide they don't want it, you hand the cash back...

:plus1:

EGGZACHERY

Dealerships typically do not offer "free" test rides, why should you?

+1 and dont sign the title untill they return the bike un-harmed.

I had a friend who got his bike stolen this way. 2 guys came to look at it in a van, the one guy left in the van saying he was getting food or gas or something. The other guy "test rode" the bike and never came back. Easiest way to steal a bike...like taking candy from a baby. I would take their id while they ride too just in case they dont come back, you have their info.

+1 and dont sign the title untill they return the bike un-harmed.

I had a friend who got his bike stolen this way. 2 guys came to look at it in a van, the one guy left in the van saying he was getting food or gas or something. The other guy "test rode" the bike and never came back. Easiest way to steal a bike...like taking candy from a baby. I would take their id while they ride too just in case they dont come back, you have their info.

how are they going to steal it if you're holding the money?

that basically means they bought it and forgot to take the title...

motorcyclehelmet.gif

how are they going to steal it if you're holding the money?

that basically means they bought it and forgot to take the title...

Ok My thoughts were mixed together. I agree with everything that has been said.

I wanted to add the comment about my friends bike getting stolen right in front of him by letting the guy test drive the bike after the other guy he came with left. The guy test driving the bike didnt give any money before and my friend selling the bike didnt ask for any money before the test drive. He deals cars and has never had this happen before. The bike he was selling personally and he should have made the guy pay for the bike before test driving or at least hand his ID over first. I just wanted to illistrate what could happen if ixl247 lets someone test drive the bike without putting anything in writing or having the guy pay for the bike first before the ride.

I wanted to add the comment about my friends bike getting stolen right in front of him by letting the guy test drive the bike after the other guy he came with left. The guy test driving the bike didnt give any money before and my friend selling the bike didnt ask for any money before the test drive. He deals cars and has never had this happen before. The bike he was selling personally and he should have made the guy pay for the bike before test driving or at least hand his ID over first. I just wanted to illistrate what could happen if ixl247 lets someone test drive the bike without putting anything in writing or having the guy pay for the bike first before the ride.

OIC, i was just confused, carry on

my uncle had the same thing happen to him, he let a guy test drive his bike, the guy that came with him in the truck said "wow he's been gone a while, I'm gonna take a spin around the block and check on him to make sure he's ok" neither one of them ever came back, and my uncle was screwed.

I always tell anyone that comes out to look at a bike I'm selling they must hand me the cash before they get the keys.

I always tell anyone that comes out to look at a bike I'm selling they must hand me the cash before they get the keys.

I am the same way with selling any vehicle.

More than one person have told me about "test drive" theft. Even if you have their license, you can still be screwed if it is fake/stolen.

Money talks, Bull$hit walks.

Luckily I have option to ride with them on Dad's bike so if they wanna run they better be faster then I am.

But If had someone who was looking at their first bike no I wouldn't let them. I would let them ride passanger, but test ride.

Now if the person seems to be knowledgeable then I would let them, but in that case I would have them leave their license or money.

Luckily I have option to ride with them on Dad's bike so if they wanna run they better be faster then I am.

But If had someone who was looking at their first bike no I wouldn't let them. I would let them ride passanger, but test ride.

Now if the person seems to be knowledgeable then I would let them, but in that case I would have them leave their license or money.

I wouldn't ride anyone I didn't know. You have no idea what else he may be packing that came along for the ride too.

Cash, or no test ride. It's that simple.

also make it VERY CLEAR to them, if they wreck it, THEY BOUGHT IT, I just sold a bike to some guy, and I told him on the phone, "Hey, you can ride it if I have the money in my hands, but if you wreck it, You bought it. That means I'll not be giving any money back, and we'll be going to sign over the title for your newly wrecked bike!" Got to be stern up front, but polite.

On a funny note the guy ending up buying the bike without even riding it!, LOL, he had me ride it around for him to show him the bike, LOL. I think he was worried he might wreck it and I would beat his face in or something, but in reality I would have just kept his money, LOL.