Mercedes Benz C240s are JUNK!

RedRocket1647545505

Long story, short. My mom just took her piece of shit 2002 C240 into Crown Mercedes, AGAIN, to be worked on. I've lost count how many times it's been in there for service. So, last night it lost all power and would barely move. We get it up there today for service. They say it was a catalytic converter. Ok, no biggie right? WRONG! $960 to fix one fucking cat!

Anybody know where to buy aftermarket cats that will fit a c240 for cheaper than $960? I'll gladly put on an aftermarket exhaust before I'd have her pay that.

Cliff notes: Mercedes are JUNK! Parts are expensive. And you have to buy a lot of them.

Wow that seems like shady shit, I thought it was federal law that cars had a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on emissions equipment only. I think Honda has 110,000 or 10 years. My buddy had a 1997 Civic DX hatch that has the cat in the Exhaust manifold go bad, it went bad at 108,000 miles in 2004 and it was replaced under warranty no charge.

The flange on my cat on a passat I had cracked. VW wanted 500 for the part. I ended up just welding it up but the car only had 60k on it with no warranty to speak of.

Dude this is not a Mercedes thing it is a german thing. I got sick of it and sold them all.

Yes there is a federal law that requires dealers to replace emissions equipment if the vehicle has less than 80000 miles on it. I have had two dodge dakotas that had to have this done. Make them replace it, do not let them charge you a dime!

Cliff notes: Mercedes are JUNK! Parts are expensive. And you have to buy a lot of them.

239,000 miles and counting beeeyotch. ;) But, admittedly, Cosworth built the engine.

The cat is probably part of the exhaust manifold. I can garauntee its:

-Stainless steel

-Big

-A long job

-has at least one sensor going in it

Mercedes Benzes aren't for cheap people. Sometimes you get a lemon, sell it.

Deffinately capitalize on the Emissions parts thing.

my C32 went to Crown again last night...second time in 2 months. the car would only go 20mph...then i pulled it in the driveway and it went completely dead, the doors wouldn't even lock. it went in late last night and they just called this afternoon...so i don't think it was anything serious...at least everything is still covered under warranty on mine.

but yeah...i've been pretty disappointed with it so far. kinda sucks having a nice Mercedes sitting in your driveway....with a flatbed picking it up.

Wow that seems like shady shit, I thought it was federal law that cars had a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on emissions equipment only. I think Honda has 110,000 or 10 years. My buddy had a 1997 Civic DX hatch that has the cat in the Exhaust manifold go bad, it went bad at 108,000 miles in 2004 and it was replaced under warranty no charge.

its 8 year or 80,000 mile on a 1995 or newer vehicle.

heres more info http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Dude this is not a Mercedes thing it is a german thing. I got sick of it and sold them all.

130K miles and still counting on my '99 A4...still on the origional turbo and all, starts and drives every morning. Regular maintenance is it.

40K hard hard miles on the M3...still under factory warranty and besides the bearing recall that BMW mandated for the car it's never seen the shop.

Kinda rough to lump them all into one category..MB reliability esp with the C series cars is well know to be sub-par as of late

Andy

Ok, final bill...$1106. She might be in trouble with the emissions warranty thing. She drives all over the state for her job, so she racks up the miles. She has got to be right around 80k miles. Last time I checked it was around 75k. And this is not a regular maintenance issue. The car has been to all of the scheduled maintenance services. The car has had a completely new drivetrain put in it, within the first 2 years of owning it. They replaced everything from the tranny, on back, due to a problem they could never diagnose exactly. I believe they said the final tally was roughly $12k for all of that. Thank god it was under warranty then. I think the factory warranty is 5years/50,000 miles. The car has had numerous electrical problems. I believe the factory wiring harness ended up being fried for some reason or another. I have not been very impressed with it, to say the least.

Update: While writing this, I called my stepfather, who was picking up the car to find out the exact mileage on it. Get this. 81,098. Talk about some shitty luck. /Rant

yea..i just picked up my car tonight...haha..this guy tried talking to me like i'm some sort of idiot. the car stumbled at idle, it idled very high, and wouldn't go above 1700rpm....he blames it all on the battery. said there was a bad connection, so the battery was dead...um, ok what does that have to do with the car not going over 20mph?

i get home tonight and the car is jerking around, it idles at 4000rpm and stumbles!! wow, some real smart ones they got working down there at Crown.

yea..i just picked up my car tonight...haha..this guy tried talking to me like i'm some sort of idiot. the car stumbled at idle, it idled very high, and wouldn't go above 1700rpm....he blames it all on the battery. said there was a bad connection, so the battery was dead...um, ok what does that have to do with the car not going over 20mph?

i get home tonight and the car is jerking around, it idles at 4000rpm and stumbles!! wow, some real smart ones they got working down there at Crown.

Actually the lack of proper voltage in the system, via battery or other electrical concern, will result in the ECU robbing power from other systems and possibly causing the engine to run poorly. Whether or not it is the cause of your particular concern remains to be seen.

The C-class is junk!

Go to any Mercedes forum and start searching. You will be shocked at the number of problems people have with them and how many people have the same problem. Avoid them at all costs and if you have one that is about out of warranty, GET RID OF IT FAST before it costs you a great deal of money.

Ok, final bill...$1106. She might be in trouble with the emissions warranty thing. She drives all over the state for her job, so she racks up the miles. She has got to be right around 80k miles. Last time I checked it was around 75k. And this is not a regular maintenance issue. The car has been to all of the scheduled maintenance services. The car has had a completely new drivetrain put in it, within the first 2 years of owning it. They replaced everything from the tranny, on back, due to a problem they could never diagnose exactly. I believe they said the final tally was roughly $12k for all of that. Thank god it was under warranty then. I think the factory warranty is 5years/50,000 miles. The car has had numerous electrical problems. I believe the factory wiring harness ended up being fried for some reason or another. I have not been very impressed with it, to say the least.

Update: While writing this, I called my stepfather, who was picking up the car to find out the exact mileage on it. Get this. 81,098. Talk about some shitty luck. /Rant

That sux bro.

Go to Germain Mercedes and talk to Tim Champ he is a Service Advisor there.Tell him I sent you(Kevin Courtright) and see if he can help out.I worked at Crown Mercedes for 2 yrs as a Parts man and agree Mercedes are "high maintenace" cars.If you want to get the part and do it yourself I can get it at wholesale price or email me and I might have a source for aftermarket ones that we use for our LS400.My e-mail is kcourtright@germainlexus.com .Good Luck