Piston engine NO cams,valves,springs

Blazen

In your standard crossflow head you have, essentialy, a bent tube that brings air into the combustion chamber, and its controlled by a valve that drops down and the air slips by. The shap of the top of the valve is actualy good for filling the chamber with a good charge. You can go bigger with the valves (to a point), and you can open them farther (to a point), and you can control when with basic adjustments.

With the above system you are limited to how big a spinning sphere you can fit over the combustion chamber, and how much of it you can clear out to let air by. The inlet/outlet shape itself isn't conducive to smooth flow. On top of that, it would be tougher to get a good seal on a higher compression engine, standard valves are actualy helped shut by compression/combustion, the forces in the above system would be constantly working to launch the sphere into the stratosphere. Plus you cant make simple adjustments. If you want to change something, you need a damn good machine shop.

Also, bearing surfaces. Bearing surface = friction = parcitic loss. Standard valve, you have a bearing on the ends and one between each cylindar, plus the friction of the cam lobes. With the above system, you have a bearing surface of the entirety of the shaft. In the end, its actualy more complicated, more expensive, and less efficient....but it's neato.

there are a few things like that "out there". The coates engine, dynamic natural thrust, 4 sided dorito rotary engines. Things that work, but dont make sence to use because better stuff is available. Coates is inefficient and expensive, quadrotors are weak and can oly plant so much torque, and dynamic natural thrust generates almost no lift. What good is an ultralight size aircraft with a 190mph stall speed? Pulsejets can be added to the list as well, but they were developed along side gasturbines, they just turned out to suck in comparison. But they're still developed and used.

there are a few things like that "out there". The coates engine, dynamic natural thrust, 4 sided dorito rotary engines. Things that work, but dont make sence to use because better stuff is available. Coates is inefficient and expensive, quadrotors are weak and can oly plant so much torque, and dynamic natural thrust generates almost no lift. What good is an ultralight size aircraft with a 190mph stall speed? Pulsejets can be added to the list as well, but they were developed along side gasturbines, they just turned out to suck in comparison. But they're still developed and used.

dude, what the hell do you do for a living that gets you to learn about cool shit like this? I wanna do it! :p

dude, what the hell do you do for a living that gets you to learn about cool shit like this? I wanna do it! :p

I dunno what they pay me for, I just surf the web all day. :p

Actualy, I'm a mechanical inspector, I inspect garage door components for a living. All this other stuff has been and independant study.

I'll have to read more on it another time but just like any application as far as engines go there are its advantages and disadvantages. Limiting your adjustability is not even considered a drawback really. It is to you and most of us here because adjusting different aspects of the valve allows for better flow.

but when a manufacturer is producing 108039174013984 civics and all that matters is that they all perform like they were manufactured to then thats flipping awesome. Think about all the annoying issues that this could eliminate.

I'll have to read more on it another time but just like any application as far as engines go there are its advantages and disadvantages. Limiting your adjustability is not even considered a drawback really. It is to you and most of us here because adjusting different aspects of the valve allows for better flow.

but when a manufacturer is producing 108039174013984 civics and all that matters is that they all perform like they were manufactured to then thats flipping awesome. Think about all the annoying issues that this could eliminate.

Two words muh boy; Hydrolic Lifters

ever have an engine with solid lifters? Its a nice, static, dead set system that works greak. But like all machines, theres creep, and they have to be adjusted almost as often as the oil is changed. Hydrolic lifters do not require this frequent maintenence.

it would create more problems than it would eliminate, it would be nearly impossible to get that sphere to seal against the head, not to mention the fact that it would need to be lubricated. So now you are covering your spherical valve with oil which is getting sucked into the engine and burning. No car manufacturer is going to be able to pass emissions with a car burning that much oil.

Very cool idea tho, and that is how technology develops. On paper it looks pretty good but in practice it turned out to not be worthwhile

Interesting note; The rotary was the exact opposite.

I love them but I would not call the rotary good in the real world maybe more like "ok". its got plenty of flaws. Terrible on emissions, not so reliable, terrible fuel economy.

the main benefits are its small size, its relative light weight and its a pretty simple engine design. More of a benefit for a car as a whole, you can make a better handling car with the lighter weight smaller engine.

I love them but I would not call the rotary good in the real world maybe more like "ok". its got plenty of flaws. Terrible on emissions, not so reliable, terrible fuel economy.

the main benefits are its small size, its relative light weight and its a pretty simple engine design. More of a benefit for a car as a whole, you can make a better handling car with the lighter weight smaller engine.

one of the reasons for its poor fuel economy is the reason for its almost electric smoothness and hp/liter advantage is that each rotor fires three times per revolution, meanwhile the 4 stroke cylinder engine one cylinder only fires once per 2 revolutions. this means ur 4 banger fires 4 times in 2 revolutions, meanwhile the rotary fired 12. In order to get that kind of number and smoothness you'd have to look into a 12 cylinder engine and even then the eccentric design of the rotary allows for a smooth application.

also the design with no valves makes the rotary's scavenging situation undesirable which causes fuel efficiency problems, from what i understand the new Renesis motor works on some of these issues. And efficiency as a whole of the "system" decreases, because the oval shaped housing increases the surface area for heat loss to the coolant. there are other losses to account for too, i'm just tired of typing.

An even more noteworthy fact: no one has put any money into developing them since 93, with the acception of the RX8. Its an engine that was invented in 1957, its less then 50 years old. Now look at the piston engine, it turned 50 in about 1940, how efficient were those? :p

Eric is right, i'm a pioneer bitches. :p