Nebraska Judge Says 128 mph Not 'Reckless'

Mojoe

NEBRASKA CITY, Neb. - Speeding is not necessarily reckless, even at 128 mph, a judge ruled in the case of a motorcyclist who tried to flee from state troopers.

With some reluctance, County Judge John Steinheider ruled last week that Jacob H. Carman, 20, was not guilty of reckless driving on Sept. 5, when he was spotted by a trooper who then chased him at the top speed of his cruiser's odometer — 128 mph.

"As much as it pains me to do it, speed and speed alone is not sufficient to establish reckless driving," the judge told Carman on Friday. "If you had had a passenger, there would be no question of conviction. If there had been other cars on the roadway, if you would've went into the wrong lane or anything, I would have convicted you."

Otoe County prosecutor David Partsch acknowledged that Carman could have been charged with speeding but, "We felt that the manner in which he was operating the motorcycle was reckless."

Carman didn't get off entirely. He was fined $300 for expired tags and other violations.

Interesting... ....comments plaese.

I wonder how they didn't inpound the bike. Or maybe the did, but didn't mention it. Only $300 in fines, sounds reasonable to me.

Not for felony evasion. Running from the cops = lock down, correct?

Fuckin drivign across the great plains is hell, 128mph isn't fast enough. However, its nice to know the cop cars only go 128. ;)

shit i got busted a while back 106 in a 65. i told the cop good thing he caught me slowing down. i was doing 140 before that i didnt tell him that. any way i got a recless opp, speeding, invalid front plate mount, exh violation. all was droped but the recless opp. 6 pts and lost lic. for 30 days. sucked i need that judge.

From my understanding, at least in Ohio, I got tagged by an undercover and I passed him well in excess of 120mph and he wrote me up for 80 but had no clue how fast I was goin because of no radar, I just passed him quickly. However, when I jumped back into my lane, I used my turn signal and a trooper I know told me that you need to marks against you to make it a reckless opp. You had to be speeding plus not use a turn signal or something of that nature, not sure if its 100 percent true but it got dropped to a 80 dollar fine, no points, cant argue...

Well lucky for him it was middle of the day on a busy off ramp, had it been late at night if I did stop, I would have my hand on the 9 mm by the seat. But I smoked by him and got over to get off the exit and like 2 min later I see this vehicle pullin up behind me with lights in the grill and dash and some dude pointin to the side of the road. I didnt have a clue what was goin on, the lights were just red, not blue, which from being on the local FD pretty much anybody can do with a little paperwork to be legit. However on a brighter note, the reason the cop did not show up for work was he had a previous engagement with the FBI, hahha, that engagement was that they were looking for him for selling coke, and ended up going to federal pound me in the ass prison, no show up for court, however it I didnt find out till I week after I took the no points deal, should have kept fighting... Oh well

I thought I read somewhere they could go 135, and regular caprices can go 140 because they don't have the lights as wind resistance..

i believe the caprices can go a bit faster than the crown vics, but i know for a fact the Ford is limited at 127-8.

The caprice (popo version) is a highway monster

Also, when i got tagged doing 46 in a 25 2 years ago, i got slapped with reckless op...almost lost me my license. then i got tagged with 80 in a 65 and i did lose my license...but we;ll not get into that

Law enforcement agencies promote their vehicles at high performance machines as a deturrent. "Don' run fum da cops, dey gon kecha in theys rocket cawrs"!!

Truth is 99% of them have 2650bhp or less and weigh 6000lbs.

2650bhp??! holy fuck, thats a badass caprice

I'd love to see an ohio undercover try to pull me over, he'd better have a radio. :nono:

Thats what im sayin... A marked car ill pull over any day of the week, but there are far too many cases of people acting like undercovers and then turning out to be fuckin multiple murderers and shit for me to pull over... he can chase my ass at tripple digits all the way back to my house if he wants me that bad.

i believe the caprices can go a bit faster than the crown vics, but i know for a fact the Ford is limited at 127-8.

The caprice (popo version) is a highway monster

Also, when i got tagged doing 46 in a 25 2 years ago, i got slapped with reckless op...almost lost me my license. then i got tagged with 80 in a 65 and i did lose my license...but we;ll not get into that

I saw 145 in a retired one, probably had a mph or 2 left. Very impressive.