Upgrades for a WS6?

Billy

I have a 2000 WS6 and was wondering what is the best mods to do to it. It allready has a SLP cold air kit, and some exhaust work, only thing I would change on exhaust is put headers on. What are some other good mods? I was think MSD coil's, throtle body, LS6 mainifold? What do you guys think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitrous will be the best mod in terms of bang-for-the-buck. And, what's this I hear? There may be a slightly used wet kit - just like the one in Ricochet's pic - coming up for sale on the open market some time soon? Just something to consider...

Seriously, nitrous is a great way to go, but it can be a hassle. First, it's not always on, not like the power you would gain with a cam and some heads. Second, you always have to refill it, and that's a pain sometimes. But, from an economic perspective, it's the best route to go, because it gives you the most HP for the cheapest amount of cash.

If your budget allows it, then you should also go the heads/cam route. A H/C/N20 set-up in your car would make great numbers.

LS6 intake is a good idea. Bigger TB wouldn't be bad. Long Tube headers are a must.

MSD coils will be a complete waste of money. Custom Tuning once your mods done is a good idea (Bill Wright on COFBA can do it at an affordable rate).

Nitrous is awesome, but comes with its own set of risks and issues + the cost of spray.

I'd go cam first, then heads. LS1's allow you to do this without some of the hassles other OHV motors require for a cam swap. Might want to do headers at the same time you do heads, as that makes the headers a REALLY easy job.

Don't forget the drivetrain. If its a manual, that clutch will only take so much abuse, especially a 00 w/ the non-Z06 clutch. If its an auto, a tranny cooler and bigger converter are a must. If you want sticky tires, that stock rear doesn't agree with that idea. If you replace the rear (don't dump ANY money into a stock 10 bolt, unless you like throwing away money), and if you have a manual, that LS1 aluminum driveshaft is not up to the challenge. With an auto it is, a manual is just asking for trouble.

Guest MTI Stroker

excellent advice!!!!!!

LS6 intake is a good idea. Bigger TB wouldn't be bad. Long Tube headers are a must.

MSD coils will be a complete waste of money. Custom Tuning once your mods done is a good idea (Bill Wright on COFBA can do it at an affordable rate).

Nitrous is awesome, but comes with its own set of risks and issues + the cost of spray.

I'd go cam first, then heads. LS1's allow you to do this without some of the hassles other OHV motors require for a cam swap. Might want to do headers at the same time you do heads, as that makes the headers a REALLY easy job.

Don't forget the drivetrain. If its a manual, that clutch will only take so much abuse, especially a 00 w/ the non-Z06 clutch. If its an auto, a tranny cooler and bigger converter are a must. If you want sticky tires, that stock rear doesn't agree with that idea. If you replace the rear (don't dump ANY money into a stock 10 bolt, unless you like throwing away money), and if you have a manual, that LS1 aluminum driveshaft is not up to the challenge. With an auto it is, a manual is just asking for trouble.

great thanks, I had just had the clutch replaced so i'm not to worried about that. I've been toying with the idea of Nitrous, the car has 42,000 miles. I'm sure the block will be able to hold up to it, just how big of a shot should I use? Also who makes the best head and cam set up?

What is the best cam and heads combination to go with? This is car is going to be a daily driver during the nicer months of the year, I would like something with a fairly nice idle, nothing to crzy, but nothing that is to weak either. I'm think maybe 205cc heads after looking around? or 225cc? I'm not really sure.

I would do the cam and headers first. Nitrous is cheaper and will put out a little more power but it does have its tradeoffs. Besides, a cammed LS1 sounds cool! You can safely run a 75-100 shot with the proper tuning. I know some here will argue you can go bigger but you are playing russian roulette with a shot bigger than 100 - especially without supporting mods.

There isn't a "best" heads and cam. Ported 5.3L heads are popular, as are ported LS1 and LS6 heads. AFR's are another route, as are a few other options. Cams really depend on how big you wanna go. Go to a site like LS1Tech and do a search; don't just post up the question, search on past topics; you;; get your answer.

Block strength isn't the problem, piston, piston ring, and rod strength (more the rod bolts then the rods themselves) are the worry areas. Block strength comes into play at FAR higher HP levels than a stock shortblock car could ever make without killing the other components well before hand.

I 100% disagree on the only a 75-100 shot is safe on a stock shortblock. I have an LT1, which I'd say the stock shortblock is no stronger than an LS1, and ran a 150 wet shot for a number of years. For most of those bottles, it was 100% internally stock; I even did a lot of bottles through STOCK exhaust manifolds and STOCK Y-pipe/cats and all emissions equipment in place. Ran pretty good w/ that setup too I might add.

I just tore down my motor a couple months ago (decided I needed to go fast = building bigger and better). That stock shortblock looked fine; bearings were all nice, and no damage anywhere. 94k miles on it too. :)

**WAIT** I just noticed you are 18 years old. Leave it stock and get good at SAFELY driving this car prior to ANY mods. I know I sure as hell didn't belong in a low 13 second car as an 18 year old!!!

Listen, put a cam in it, headers, colder plugs, and a 150 wet shot on it and beat more then 75% cars on here. If you need some people that can do the cam install cheap and quick pm me. I got some people. I also got someone that will tune it for damn near nothing. And they will put a good aggressive tune on it and get everything out of the mods that you put on the car...

bah just go all out, turbo that puppy.

but if your a weine then heads and cam would do the trick.

a 224/228-112 cam would realy wake that thing up, also if you can afford thm get some 205 AFRs if your budjet is tighter, then some dart heads are the ticket, cheap and flow well.. and ofcoarse some long tube headers. those three mods will put you about 420ish maybe a little more.

and if that isnt enough power for your unskilled arse, then a 100 shot will kill ya.

I had ported 5.3 heads matched with the thunder racing TR230 cam in my old WS6.. Long tube headers, custom true duals, just about everything mod you can do except nitrous or a blower. I never had it dynoed but a member that had the exact same setup put down 450rwhp and this was through a 12 bolt.