New downtown MC & Scooter parking

Casper

The following is reprinted from the official City website at http://ci.columbus.oh.us/

July 16, 2008

Mayor Coleman and Councilmember O'Shaughnessy Announce

New Parking Areas for Motorcycles and Scooters

Today Mayor Michael B. Coleman and City Councilmember Maryellen O’Shaughnessy

joined local scooter enthusiasts to announce the City’s plan to add new on-street

and alley parking Downtown, in the Short North and in the Brewery District specifically

designated for motorcycles and scooters.

Click here to read the official plan...

http://home.columbus.gov/Asset/iu_files/0711MotoParkingFinalReport.pdf

Waste of money.

Why do you say that? Have you been downtown lately? Have you seen how many scooters (and motorcycles) are illegally parked in alleys and on sidewalks? Most parking garages will NOT allow motorcycle/scooters to park there.

Why do you say that? Have you been downtown lately? Have you seen how many scooters (and motorcycles) are illegally parked in alleys and on sidewalks? Most parking garages will NOT allow motorcycle/scooters to park there.

Whos going to park there the other 8 months of the year?

Whos going to park there the other 8 months of the year?

First of all, its not a waste of money because after the first year the city is going to charge riders for a decal to be able to park in these spots.

Second...8months?? I don't know about you but I rode my bike quite alot over the winter. To say there is only 4months of riding time is crazy.

Take city money to do this , Clean it , patrol it, salt it, pav it, etc.

Riding your bike in the winter is ................Salt, sand, cold tires, and cagers not looking for riders in the winter ...........What ever your in to ,Plus its not good for your bike.And your about 5% that rides in the winter. I don't think you need a parking lot for bikes in winter.

Just park like everyone else and save us a little money.Ohio is seasonal for motorcycles, having a lot year around for them to park is stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid.And like I said a waste of money.

Take city money to do this , Clean it , patrol it, salt it, pav it, etc...Just park like everyone else and save us a little money.Ohio is seasonal for motorcycles, having a lot year around for them to park is stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid.And like I said a waste of money.

Have you read the city proposal???? The money collected from the parking permit decals after the first year will pay for the upkeep. And the proposed spaces are NOT entire lots but small areas. The one I saw on Gay street the day it was opened took the place of one actual car space. There was dead space next to the space, thats why it was utilized, therefore only one car space was lost but the spot is big enough to hold several mc's and even more scooters.

The city's plan is more or less a one year test to see how the spaces work out, whether less or more are needed. I think its a great inititive that the city is taking, more and more bikes (scooters and mc's) are on the road now thanks to the cost of gas, this is a good thing.

If you haven't read the official proposal, here is the link...

http://home.columbus.gov/Asset/iu_files/0711MotoParkingFinalReport.pdf

w00t! :dj: Finally, some 2-wheeled vehicle love. Now they just need to expand this about 10 fold, and then allow for lane splitting at stoplights and maybe add bike/scooter boxes at the front of lines at lights. But this is a fantastic start. Stuff like this is what makes me like Columbus :)

Also...to anyone who is saying it's a waste of money; I think us riders have paid for this project a hundred times over in bullshit speeding ticket money alone ;)

It is legal in Columbus to park on the sidewalks. I have done it for years. Use common sense which most scooter riders seem to lack, and not park in the way, block doors or flow on the side walk.

The guys that got tickets were from parking in front of condo's and the other condo owners didn't like it. The scooters were also jamming up pearl alley, They were everywhere and blocking foot traffic. Did anyone see it? What a mess! A guy or gal will park his $2k scooter were a person on 10k motorcycle will not.

The only place I have ever got hassled was Eastland mall. Rent-a-cop hassling me about parking under the awning of the out of business Lazarus store. I ask him to follow me and went and returned my purchase to the store I let the manager know why.

It is legal in Columbus to park on the sidewalks. I have done it for years. Use common sense which most scooter riders seem to lack, and not park in the way, block doors or flow on the side walk.

The guys that got tickets were from parking in front of condo's and the other condo owners didn't like it. The scooters were also jamming up pearl alley, They were everywhere and blocking foot traffic. Did anyone see it? What a mess! A guy or gal will park his $2k scooter were a person on 10k motorcycle will not.

The only place I have ever got hassled was Eastland mall. Rent-a-cop hassling me about parking under the awning of the out of business Lazarus store. I ask him to follow me and went and returned my purchase to the store I let the manager know why.

good to know.

I have never had a problem parking in the parking garages in any city. Now you have to pay, but no biggy. I park in the arena grand and city center garages all the time. As a matter of fact I have never been turned away from a parking in a garage. Courtesy and common sense prevail.

• 2 weeks later...
It is legal in Columbus to park on the sidewalks.

I thought it was just the opposite, hmm. Are you sure? It's not even legal to ride a bicycle on

city sidewalks, wouldn't think it'd be legal to park a mc there.

I have never had a problem parking in the parking garages in any city. Now you have to pay, but no biggy. I park in the arena grand and city center garages all the time. As a matter of fact I have never been turned away from a parking in a garage. Courtesy and common sense prevail.

I HAVE been turned away from a parking garage downtown. It was near the convention center, don't remember exactly where it was. I also don't think you can park in the one just south of the North Market.

I have parked in the Arena grand garage, city center, Ohio/convention Center, and the eye center garages, Riverside, Grant and OSU hospital garages. I almost forgot Campus garages too. That is just a quick list from here in town. The only problem with some of them is the vehicle detectors at the ticket gate may not detect the bike, But no biggy.

Parking on side walks, High street north of downtown to campus. And Random other places around town, again no big deal just use common sense. Never a parking ticket. I would not park on a side walk or any where near North Market, too many whiney yuppies with out of control kids, plus it is heavily patroled by meter maids, why tempt fate.

i know a kid who got a ticket for overtime meter by the north market... thing was, meters turn off at 8 pm there, and the dumbass wrote the ticket at 8:15

i hate meter maids. you cant just be a regular asshole to get that job. you have to be a true cocksucker.