Gauging interest

wnaplay1647545503

This isnt the first business I have owned although it is the first which includes having a customer base that would come to my establishment. The trick is no $$$$ no car leaving the shop. Tools wouldn't be taken out of eyesight. Besides a credit card would have to be left as a deposit. Storage would be paid in advance. Where would be a good location? I am thinking of maybe inside 270 or possibly just outside of 270. Since i figure I will still have to keep my daily job for a short time and work nights since alot of people would want to work on their cars after work and someone would have to be there, I dont want to drive clear around town to get back and forth. So I live in Reynoldsburg. So somewhere around this side of 270 is what I'm thinking. Possibly from westerville to alum creek something along those lines.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not the first person to think of this idea.

Good luck blazing the trail. There have been more determined people than you that try to make this work and have failed. Sorry for the pep-talk, but it's better to hear it now on this forum than out in the real world.

Check Canada...they have garage rentals (with lifts, air tools and everything) and the system works. Down here, what you can put in for cheap or free (to keep operating costs down) is more than mitigated by overhead costs (land, bldg, utilities, INSURANCE, wear-and-tear on shop tools, etc...I won't even begin to get into the concept of hiring people to staff this shop as well). Before you know it, what people would spend $25 an hour to rent ends up costing you $50 an hour, and that's IF you have every bay rented out, every hour, for the next 15 years.

Get the land and massive warehouse/garage for FREE...then you can make it a full-time business. :)

Good luck blazing the trail. There have been more determined people than you that try to make this work and have failed. Sorry for the pep-talk, but it's better to hear it now on this forum than out in the real world.

Check Canada...they have garage rentals (with lifts, air tools and everything) and the system works. Down here, what you can put in for cheap or free (to keep operating costs down) is more than mitigated by overhead costs (land, bldg, utilities, INSURANCE, wear-and-tear on shop tools, etc...I won't even begin to get into the concept of hiring people to staff this shop as well). Before you know it, what people would spend $25 an hour to rent ends up costing you $50 an hour, and that's IF you have every bay rented out, every hour, for the next 15 years.

Get the land and massive warehouse/garage for FREE...then you can make it a full-time business. :)

Surely you read the first post where I stated that this has been done by many people in many places. As far as determined, just because I dont sound gun-ho on here doesnt mean that I haven't thought this through or continue to for that matter. Like I said I ran a very successful business before I opted to walk away. Besides my sole propreitership, I also owned minority holdings in 2 seperate companies. I do what I currently do out of choice. Not necessity. I can walk away at anytime. I have never made a hasty decision in regards to my business dealings in my life. I make a decent living doing what I do, I own everything I have besides my home and that to will be payed off in an estimated 9 years. My wife hasn't worked in over 5 years now and at no time do I live like I am poor. This is all thanks to being smart with my decisions. As far as your other concerns I thank you for your conciderations. It is all in the beginning stages. If I decide not to follow through with the idea it will only be because I felt it wasnt a viable idea. I have advisors that assist me with investing my money. Trust me this wont be easily rushed into. I am well aware of the projections of this type of establishment succeding. I am just curious as to what made you think that I may have been going into this without thinking to clearly the possibilities of failure?

Good idea. Check out this site in Cincinnati.

http://www.painterslane.com/

Contact them and see how they handled some of the issues that has been brought up. A little research now will save a lot of headached and money later on.

Thanks for the link. Alot of the places that I have found that do a similar set-up

are no longer in business. I have contacted some places and spoken to the owners and managers to see exactly what issues they face. I visited a place in arizona 2 years ago that is no longer in existance. That was the first time I had the idea of trying it here in columbus. And until I was introduced to cr, I thought the idea was dead. But now I am re-thinking it. I have looked at several buildings but haven't found one that suits what I feel are the needs. I do wish more people would give me ideas on what the building should provide. I learned along time ago that money isn't all that important. I know that this wont make me a millionare even if it does succeed. A common place where common people can share a common interest is more what I hope to derive from this. And as long as I dont lose money and the headaches arent worth my time, the money is secondary. I started my first company at 17. 15 days before I turned 18 my first son was born. By the time I was 19 I had 16 employees and was on the other side of the country while my wife was raising our son alone. By 21 I was on the road to a heart attack. I worked constantly. I had absolutely no friends, I mean not a one. And even to this day I still have but one friend, and I went to school with the guy. I only see him but 3-4 times a year. Until I decided what I was putting in wasnt worth what I was getting back out of it. I've missed birthdays and anniversaries working. So one day I left. I have people ask me several times a week what the hell am I doing, doing what I do. So you will probably see me on cr alot. I have found a companionship with a group of guys I have never met, nor will I ever. I was raised to be responsible. Partying and "going out with the guys", I have never even had the opportunity to do. Up until recently I hadn't even been out to dinner with someone that wasn't a client or family. Sorry I just realized I was ranting.

Get the land and massive warehouse/garage for FREE...then you can make it

a full-time business. :)

And as far as the vehicles I drive, and talk about on cr, my truck looks like its about to fall apart, and I buy used cars instead of new. A persons car is often considered to be a status of ones wealth. If you see a guy driving a junker you tend to think he must be broke. But theres just something about knowing you can pay cash for a new car that makes you feel a little better about driving a so called junker. I mean what else would you base your assumption that I would need a "peptalk" which basically told me how bad a decision this might be other than the fact you assumed I was "ignorant" or perhaps "broke"? :D I know where your coming from and I appreciate it, and that goes for everyone who has showed both support and opposition.

I actually wrote a long-winded explanation of where I stand on this auto-workshop concept, as I was very interested (and still am, to a degree) of the subject...but something happened and my post deleted. :rolleyes:

Bottom line...I think it IS a great idea but there are a few things you can do to make it a great business decision. Best of luck with your endeavors!

• 3 years later...
Resurrecting. I am putting things in place to possible bring this to fruition. No guarantees, but I have found a company who is possibly willing to insure this type of establishment(cross fingers). I am going to look at a few buildings tomorrow. Anyone like the idea of an airport location? Or off 670? How big of a bay would you need to work on your car?

two big things...make each person carry their own insurance on their belongs...as far as storage...each must be fenced in and they can bring there own lock to secure belongings.

i could give you some good pointers on this, i have several clients that have boat and rv storage places with alot of inside info on how to effectively run it.

two big things...make each person carry their own insurance on their belongs...as far as storage...each must be fenced in and they can bring there own lock to secure belongings.

i could give you some good pointers on this, i have several clients that have boat and rv storage places with alot of inside info on how to effectively run it.

I started this thread in 05. I have been researching it ever since. I am always willing to hear some good advice. Vehicles will have to be insured. Insurance is requiring me to seperate each bay. I am just waiting to hear if I have to build full partitions or if I can chainlink them apart. I am trying to figure out a good sq footage for the building based on how many people will actually utilize the service.

Good luck with people cleaning up.

Hopefully the clientel would be a little more upscale-ish. I certainly wouldnt want it to look like the outside of a junkyard. The size I would be looking to open might determine this. If 1/2 of the people who say they are interested actually participate, the building will stay full all the time and we wont get any "customers" walking in. I just dont want to undersize myself. Or oversize to the point that if it tanks, I have a huge payment each month.

my bro tried doing something like this, and as soon as the owner found out they were setting up a makeshift shop for wrenching, they got evicted.

liability ftl

Owners consent FTW. Why was he hiding what he was doing? I am looking at previous shops set up for this.

We had something similar to this when I was stationed @ FT.Hood. It was called sprockets. You could rent the lifts, tools, and even store vehicles there. I think the shop rate was maybe $25 hour or so to rent the lift and tools together. Not to mention there were mechanics running the shop that would help you or even do repairs for quite cheap. I like the idea personally, but it could be hit or miss.

Owners consent FTW. Why was he hiding what he was doing? I am looking at previous shops set up for this.

He wasnt hiding anything. The owner just thought for some reason that they would only be storing cars there, but when him and all his friends started using it as their own little personal shop, the lawyer for the owner told the owner to kick em out.

I'd say $25 or so an hr is quite fair, and if its on the Reynoldsburg side of 270 i think you might even get some people from the eastside, i know i'd drive up from newark. hell hurry up and do it, i've been putting off doing my headers and exhaust untill i find a lift lol.

I would say it would a good idea to have a few guys there at all times who know cars inside and out, you could even put on demo's and classes for people wanting to learn how to do something to help pay the bills.

Good luck with it, i see no reason why if everything is ran properly this couldnt be a sucessful venture.

We had something similar to this when I was stationed @ FT.Hood. It was called sprockets. You could rent the lifts, tools, and even store vehicles there. I think the shop rate was maybe $25 hour or so to rent the lift and tools together. Not to mention there were mechanics running the shop that would help you or even do repairs for quite cheap. I like the idea personally, but it could be hit or miss.

Same with all of the Naval Bases I was stationed at. They called them Auto Hobby Shops and were based on a rent-per-hour basis for lifts, tools, bays., etc. They also offered short and long-term storage as well.

It was great, but it takes a ton of overhead and man-hours to keep running.