mazda miata opinions?

Chief8one

I am thinking of buying a Miata in the 5 grand range and was just wondering what were peoples opinions on them? What are some of the common problems? Anyone ever own one? Any good message boards for them? And lastly does anyone know of a 5 speed in Black or white around for sale?

thanks in advance,

Chief :)

2Zum on here has a really nice '91 Miata, I think he paid around $4k for it, but it has a lot more into it than that now. hehe Here's a pic

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/728000-728999/728358_102_full.jpg

though the V8 swap is a very nice setup for drag, if you plan on autocrossing it, you might do better to swap the S2000's engine into the Miata. That swap was featured in Import Tuner sometime back, and it worked out well, with the Miata actually weighing a little less then the S2000.

Of course, for that cost, you might look at the S2000 as well.

though the V8 swap is a very nice setup for drag, if you plan on autocrossing it, you might do better to swap the S2000's engine into the Miata. That swap was featured in Import Tuner sometime back, and it worked out well, with the Miata actually weighing a little less then the S2000.

Of course, for that cost, you might look at the S2000 as well.

oh yea i totally forgot about the S2000 engine. that is becoming another increasingly popular swap for all sorts of japanese cars. some of the AE86 S2000 swaps are among my favorites. just because of the stock properties of the engine, it makes a good all around track and street motor. hooray for high rev.

i was buying this for this summers autocross events, tired of Fwd.

Nevermind all these drag racing haters, you've chosen well, keep those heavy ass motors out of them. ;)

Stiffen it up with a cage or subframes, and make sure theres some form of LSD. You can boost the little motors to 200-300 hp, but no real point to that in autocross. ;)

for 5 grand it depends on what you want. for a 89-93 1.6 miata its not a good car for boost. atleast the 1.6 motor that is if you get a 1.6 you want to build it na not turbo. you can find a 1.8 miata for around the 5 k range. there really is no problems with miata except you will want to pay attention to spark plug wires miatas really like some of them and dont like some. also if your looking at any miata and find one with a hard top i would deffinitly recomend it. i would offer to let you drive my 91 miata but it doesnt feel at all like a stock miata would. the suspension is track suspension and the drive line is highly modified. as far as forums i would check out miata.net but guys on there can be dicks. i would say best shop around is http://www.flyingmiata.com they can tell you anything you want to know about a miata off the top of their head. i will tell you this i own a 91 miata and a 2001 se. i like both cars about the same but its just a personal opinion really. if u have any specific questions on miatas just pm me and ill help you out. i dont know of any in the area for sale but im also looking for a 91 for parts. if you do find some one and want help looking at it let me know and ill help you. oh since your planning on autocrossing come out with us (buckeye miata club) once and youll meet people that will let you ride along in their cars. http://www.buckeyemiataclub.com

oh yea i totally forgot about the S2000 engine. that is becoming another increasingly popular swap for all sorts of japanese cars. some of the AE86 S2000 swaps are among my favorites. just because of the stock properties of the engine, it makes a good all around track and street motor. hooray for high rev.

Yeah, I've seen an AE86 with one in a picture once. I'd love to do it myself, but it's outta my price range for the next few years. It's a good swap for that Miata because it's a light engine that makes good power, and unlike the V8 swaps, you actually don't have to break out the sawzall and start chopping the engine bay up to shoehorn it in, not to mention you don't have to pull it to work on it.

I currently autocross my fwd shadow v6 5 speed. I have a set of hoosiers on a seperate set of wheels already and won 2 out of the 3 events i entered over the summer here in mansfield. I'm not going to do any kind of motor swap just would like to get into a rwd car, and they seem like the best bang for the buck type deal.

thanks 2 zum for you help as well, id really like to test drive one and see if i even like the car.

Great car for Autocrossing.Too small for me to drive everyday but with some suspension work and tires could be a LOT of fun.Stay away from dragstrips and stoplights with you girlfriend in the car and it should be a cool ride.Drive what you like though not what everyone else likes.