Pulled over by Westerville cops. Long story

Mojoe

I meant to post this when it happened a few months ago. I was pulled over at 5am by 6 or 7 Westerville cruisers. Here's what happened.

Back when all the storms were hitting Texas and Louisiana my National Guard unit was called to help out. I had to report to Mansfield for 6am on a Sunday. One of the soldiers that needed a ride lives in Westerville and I was on my way to pick him up. Leaving my house I went 315 north to 270 to Cleveland Ave. north. I was absolutely speeding the entire way. There was very little traffic, but that is no excuse. Somewhere along 270 I notice a Honda pacing me. I am in my Subaru, which is not fast at all. I had just picked up the Subaru and still had the temp tags on it. When I got off on the Cleveland exit I got into the wrong lane (south) then switch to the north lane. No cars anywhere, except this Honda still pacing me. On Cleveland Ave, I slow down a bit, but am still over the speed limit. I get to the light at the McDonalds and it goes red as I get to it. I slow and check for oncoming traffic and run the red light. A few lights up I make a right (don't know the name of the road; I'm not on that side of town much). This Honda changes from left lane to the right and makes the right hand turn too. It's too odd that this guy is following me and now I’m doing the speed limit and catch a red light, and wait at it. It goes green before the Honda gets to the light, so I never get to really see him. Immediately I see the blue lights and a lot of cars behind me. I pull over, window down, car off, and hands on the wheel. I have heard the stories about Westerville PD and know I'm done. The officer came up VERY slow and asked if I knew why I was being stopped. I told him I was speeding. He took my info and asked what my rush was. My back seat was full of my gear and I was in Uniform. I told him I was on my way to report for duty and that I understand that is no excuse for speeding. I knew I was wrong in every aspect, and understood that I was going to get hit pretty hard for this one. He was back with the other officers for a while and another cop came up and seemed pretty pissed. He said I almost hit the mirror of his car on 270 and that tried to loose him by changing lanes at the exit for Cleveland Ave. I asked if he was in the dark colored Honda, and he said yes. I respectfully told him "yes I was speeding, but I was nowhere near your car". I explained I was in the wrong exit lane and the correction was made before the 2 exit lanes split from 270. I had no intention of being and ass to him, I could tell he was heated about this. He told me he had been radioing me in for 2 districts as a stolen car because he could not see the paper temp tag taped to the window. He asked if I had seen him following me, why I kept speeding. I said I thought he was some kid in a Honda trying to race and told him I get that a lot in this car. He walked away at that. I'm not trying to sound like a badass to cop's. I was simply telling him my side. He left shortly after, as did 5 cruisers. The original officer came back to the car and said that he had only seen me speeding and that I need to obey the posted limits and stop for red lights. Again I admitted how wrong I was and that I would comply. Then the officer told me to be safe and good luck down south.

I posted this because of all the posts about cops that are bad or those being screwed by cops (right or wrong, whatever). I know how fortunate I am for that officer being lenient. If you feel your time was wasted by reading this, don’t waste anymore time by posting about it.

Nah man cops can be mello. I was let off one day i was speeding down a 25 @ about 60 and I seen cop and knew i was hit (radar went off) so i pulled over before he even turned his lights on he comes up asks me whats going on I told him my wife had locked herself out fht house with our dog in the car and her keys in it. And that i had a slimjim in the backseat to open her car. he lookd at my stuff said you need to be careful kids run across here and let me go.

not all cops are bad

Absolutly. I think for the most part a cop is going to be how you are. Releave the stress from them as soon as possible. Find another individual who comes into contact with so many differant personalities and has to read that person the right way.

Damn you Jesse.