Video card problem

coty061885

Last month I bought a Rosewill Geforce 6800gt AGP. I've used ATI's all my computer-building life, but the 6800gt seemed to be the best card in the price range I was looking at. I unistalled all ATI drivers before installing the new card, of course. It installed without a problem and ran fine for a few weeks. Then, outta the blue, my monitor just stopped recieving signal. It went blank and displayed the message "No inpute signal." I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating my BIOS, etc. But no matter what I do, within either a few hours of a few days it will repeat the problem. I've been reduced to reinstalling my old ATI card for now until I figure it out.

I'm looking for any suggestions. I dunno what the problem could be. The mobo is a Gigabyte K700, by the way. I dunno if the mobo doesn't agree with the card somehow, but it's hard to say. Someone help!

Yeah, I've gone over all the cords, I've checked the power cord going into the card itself and checked the card was seated in the slot correctly. I even cleaned the connectors on the card. I think I've done all the idiot checks. I don't remember making any drastic changes to the computer, be it hardware or software wise, between the time I installed the card to the time of the problem. It ran flawlessly up until then, no sign of defect at all.

Yep if you rule out the possibility of it being the monitor or the mainboard, then it sounds like you just got a bad egg out of the dozen. You might think about calling Newegg if anything just to ask if they would RMA it for you. They've been known to go out of their way for customers in the past.

I don't have an extra monitor, but my roommate probably does.

My power suply is either 400 or 450, can't remember. I know it's higher than the recommended supply the card requires. No soundcard or USB devices running off my mobo, either.

Guess I'll just send newegg an email.

I told you your problem before you bought it, you bought a generic card. Maybe people have done well with off-brands, but I've never had a problem with my ATI cards. You get what you pay for, sorry Cot-y, that sucks. Ruling out the fact you have the correct drivers, it sounds like a bad card to me. I'm pretty positive you know what you're doing otherwise. Give newegg a shot I suppose.

Doesn't matter how many good reviews you read. If it's off brand, it's off brand for a reason. Why would you spend hundreds of dollars on something that isn't backed with a reputable name? I stand by Chris in saying you get what you pay for, and if I get any backtalk from you, I'll kick you in the junk on Tuesday :D.

I only spent $150 dollars on my off-brand card :) It still ran FEAR and Most Wanted without a problem, until it stopped working that is lol.

Not like I spend $400 on a card that was basically too powerful for my computer (Cougar, I'm looking at you). Not to mention it was only AGP, you shoulda invested in a board with PCI-E beforehand.

... you guys are obviously not very computer savy because if you were you'd know there is no "Pure" nvidia board for their video cards. EVERYTHING nvidia is going to be an 'offbrand' as it were and ati being no exception as far as pure or whatever you wanna say brand card for having problems goes. Just get a well known brand - bfg, Pny etc. as far as the brand name goes and you'll be fine.

It just sounds like either his monitor or his card took a dump so investigate both.

... you guys are obviously not very computer savy because if you were you'd know there is no "Pure" nvidia board for their video cards. EVERYTHING nvidia is going to be an 'offbrand' as it were and ati being no exception as far as pure or whatever you wanna say brand card for having problems goes. Just get a well known brand - bfg, Pny etc. as far as the brand name goes and you'll be fine.

It just sounds like either his monitor or his card took a dump so investigate both.

I don't recall saying my board, or any board was "pure" but thanks for pulling words out of the air. I have an ATI card that was designed by ATI to use the ATI chipset. ATI has plenty of off brands, but my card was bought directly from ATI and only at a fraction of the 400 dollars it originally cost ;) I trust ATI did plenty of r&d and they are a very reputable company (one of the leading two), so that imho is enough to pay a bit more money.

Doesn't matter how many good reviews you read. If it's off brand, it's off brand for a reason. Why would you spend hundreds of dollars on something that isn't backed with a reputable name? I stand by Chris in saying you get what you pay for, and if I get any backtalk from you, I'll kick you in the junk on Tuesday :D.

As a old skewl tech i'm gonna have to correct some misnomers. OFFBRAND Nvidia cards are still NVIDIA Referance board cards. They may not have extra bells and whistles but your still gtting a good card. First thingi would check is tryinb ooting it iwth out the extra power connect see if its bitches. next put a oldcard in your box see if ts bots ( eLiminates mobo from list) then if u still ahve problems may be you can bring it by my place i can tes it in 1 of my extra boxes