Anyone work on dryers?

Bam

I bought a new frigidaire dryer back in november and its never satisfied me. I ALWAYS have to run the dryer twice, even on small loads, and on the highest heat setting, which says for whites only. The top/back of the dryer always get hot as shit and I'm just fed up with it.

I've had the service guy come out 3 times and he swears up and down its perfectly fine, and won't authorize any repairs/replacements, but motherfucker it won't dry my clothes!!!

So yeah I want someone i can trust that's not a dickweed to take a look at it for me, I didn't buy no $500 dryer to deal with this shit.

A dryer is a pretty simple piece of machinery. 1st check and make sure there is nothing blocking the vent hose. Even check where the hose comes out of the back. After checking for obstructions at both ends. Make sure that the dryer is spinning. Open up the door when it is running and see if comes to a stop. Most new dryers have the heating element accesible(sp) through the rear. Take out the heating element but be carefull those may look like springs but there not. Take it to any of the appliance stores on parsons avenue. I swear they are the best. Pm me and I will give you the name of a good one. They will test it on sight. My dad grew up working on washers and dryers. He has had the same dryer since I was little. There really isnt much to a dryer. A new element usually only costs about $15-$20.

yeah there are no restrictions, because I set up a lint trap kit and the hose is all of 2-3ft long and I check/change that regularly. The dryer does spin...and get hot.

I'll check the element thing tomorrow, but if they tell me its bad I'm gonna jam my foot so far up someone's ass at frigidaire their fucking kids would feel it. They better replace it under warranty as well.

Is there anyway that maybe the voltage from my outlet is lower than what the dryer needs? Someone mentioned that to me one time, but I don't know how to check.

thanks...

Also, stereotypically you can only put about half a full washer load in the dryer. That's just the way they design them, don't ask me why? If you are putting in a full load/the clothes are filling up about half of the dryer, that's why.

Well even though one of the major selling points advertised at the store about this dryer was the fact that it dries 15 jeans at once! I never fill it more than half more, its usually sitting less than that just so I can get clothes dried.

Another thing I forgot to mention, they are both HIGH efficiency machines so maybe that cuts out their effectiveness?? I woudn't think so, but me running the dryer twice as much sure nullifies the high effiecient novelty, lol.

Seal on the back of the drum could be bad. Or the front of the drum. Or the door seal. It would allow the blower to be pulling air from places around the drum and not through the heating element. This would also allow the heating element to build up heat in the back of the dryer.

Also, if the blower fan isnt properly afixed to the shaft of the motor, it may not be spining fast enough to move enough air.

my .02

Well even though one of the major selling points advertised at the store about this dryer was the fact that it dries 15 jeans at once!

Sounds like it should be able to do the job just fine.

Haha, make the maintenance guy come there when you have 15 just washed pairs of pants and try and dry them. :D

LOL, between my fiance, me and my daughter we don't even own that many jeans. But yeah, everytime the guy comes out and checks it out for 20min and says she's good to go, I get pissed because I know that's not the case and for some reason they cant/wont find anything wrong with it.

Dryers are 220. I am sure you already checked both fuses.

Actually I checked the fuse panel, but nothing is marked so I don't know any numbers/what each one goes to, damn apartment idiots!! Is there a way to test the output of the dryer outlet?

It really sounds like it's not getting enough voltage, especially if the tech swears up and down it's good. It needs to be 240 volt, probably 30 or 40 amps. You can't get 220 out of a single phase panel and I doubt you have a 3 phase panel. yes there's a way to test it. How far is it from the panel? Voltage drops over long distances of wire.

It really sounds like it's not getting enough voltage, especially if the tech swears up and down it's good. It needs to be 240 volt, probably 30 or 40 amps. You can't get 220 out of a single phase panel and I doubt you have a 3 phase panel. yes there's a way to test it. How far is it from the panel? Voltage drops over long distances of wire.

Um, the panel is directly behind the dryer, maybe 4 ft from the plug...I replied to your PM!!! :)

I did put the little legs on the bottom when I got it and a BIG THANKS goes out to Dan (Bird69) for coming by and checking it out for me, he said everything electrical checks out fine. So that's good and bad, eliminates some questions, but also doesn't answer why I need to run the dryer 2-3 times to get the clothes dry.

I'm calling Frigidaire on Monday with a hothead.

thanks guys

Single phase is 220. Split phase (1 of the 2 legs to neutral) is 110.

Single phase is 240, which is exactly what my meter read when I tested Matt's outlet and at the main lugs going from lug-to-lug. From leg to neut, I got 120. His panel was the best I've seen from an apartment.

I did put the little legs on the bottom when I got it and a BIG THANKS goes out to Dan (Bird69) for coming by and checking it out for me, he said everything electrical checks out fine. So that's good and bad, eliminates some questions, but also doesn't answer why I need to run the dryer 2-3 times to get the clothes dry.

I'm calling Frigidaire on Monday with a hothead.

thanks guys

No problem man, sorry it wasn't something that I could fix, but at least you narrowed it down. Call me if anything else pops up.