any camera experts?

Guest mithesaint

Guest mithesaint
Thinking about buying a new camera, and wanted opinions. I've currently got a Canon SD 110, and it's been fine for now. I'm getting married in May, and going on a honeymoon to Alaska on a cruise. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Nikon D50. Thoughts? Worth the $700 or so? What lenses would I want to get? I know it usually comes with a 18sx55. How much zoom is that comparable too? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

buydig.com has some good deals on the d50 for with the kit lens and with a 200mm zoom which would be very nice for a cruise. (shooting from the ship). In fact I would go with at least a 200mm zoom in addition to the kit. The D50 is a highly recommended entry-level DSLR camera. I am a canon person myself (for now anyway).

If you plan on using it in a few months, you better hurry up and buy it so you can learn how to use it. The DSLR world is a whole lot different from the point-and-shoot simplicity.

Plan on photoshop becoming your best friend, as most of the decent DSLR shots require a bit of post-processing; they just dont pop out as a finished product.

Really any DSLR camera will be a step above your P&S, only limited by your ability to use it.

Guest mithesaint

So the 200 mm lense would be good for zoom? That's one of my primary concerns. My current only has about 2x optical zoom, which is damn near worthless. The fact my camera fits into any pocket overrules the zoom problem though:) The Canon's a bit more expensive, and I'm not sure I would get any benefit from it. I can barely use my P+S to fully capability! It's not like I'm blowing anything up to poster size. 6.1 MP is good enough for me.

Anyone else? Hua?

mysony DSC-H1 take some fantastic pictures, i recommend you go to best buy and fuck around with it some.

it has a 12x optical and 2x digital zoom. I got the 1 gig card so i can do upto a 45 min video on it with different resolution options. and honestly they are pretty good videos.

if you read the consumers experiences the cannon has cheap buttons and the lens' gears end up grinding after very little use.

My wife has a Nikon D100 and it is AWESOME. The D70 has a better (improved) CCD and the D50 isn't too shabby either. You have to pick a body you want that gives you lens options too. Canon lenses tend to have the focus/zoom motor built into the lens so the lenses cost more. Nikon puts the motor on the body so the body costs more.

I really like the D70 and have thought about a D50 to put in an enclosure for underwater stuff. The ability to shoot in RAW mode makes it really nice.