Good TIG Welders?

RedRocket1647545505

No, I'm not looking for someone to weld for me. :D What I'm looking for is a pretty good TIG welder to put in an upcoming detached garage/shop build. I've never tig welded in my life, but I'd like to learn/practice. I figured I'd need a welder at some time in the future, so I might as well go ahead and get a TIG/stick first, and then pick up a decent MIG later on down the line. Since I'm basically ignorant about TIG welders, I figured I'd ask you guys. I won't be doing anything real major with it. The biggest project that I can think of that I'd use it for, is to build an aluminum tilt-bed carhauler in the distant future. I would think that the aluminum would be 3/8" - 5/16" thick, max. for this project. I figured I'd probably need something a little bigger than the typical 'hobbiest' welder, but nothing to heavy duty. So far, this one seems to be a good 'middle of the road' TIG. What do you guys think? Overkill for my needs? Not big enough? Better recommendation?

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/custom/Syncro250DXPkg.jpg

"The Syncrowave® 250 DX delivers excellent welding performance, control and versatility. The basic machine includes all the essential features you need for high-precision AC/DC TIG welding, plus the flexibility to handle a wide variety of metals. The Syncrowave 250 DX offers an effective solution in any light industrial situation that requires constant current Squarewave technology. Efficient and adaptable, the single-phase Syncrowave 250 DX is a great choice for fabrication shops as well as vocational training facilities. Its low-profile case fits neatly into any industrial location, while its rugged construction ensures reliable operation under constant use. A spectrum of available options allow you to start simple and add features as you need them. This high-performance machine pays off with extraordinary value. "

Price - $2,300.

Link = http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001796.htm

For what it's worth, I learned on MIG welding. Not hard, just takes some practice. I also learned with .030 line on .022 metal...

And get a auto-dimmer mask. They rock.

Just from the description that seems like it would be more than enough for what you need, and it's always nice to have extra.

If you want to use it to build an aluminum tilt bed car hauler you would be better off with a spool gun.

Shhhh you. It would take him years. hahah

Thats not a bad machiene, we have one of those here at school. I would say to just pick up tig and learn it, with out instruction or gudience is not our best bet. I would get some schooling done before just going at it.

Shhhh you. It would take him years. hahah

Thats not a bad machiene, we have one of those here at school. I would say to just pick up tig and learn it, with out instruction or gudience is not our best bet. I would get some schooling done before just going at it.

Yea, I've seen those spool guns. I'm not exactly sure as to their use. I'm assuming its just a constant feed of wire for TIGing?

As for schooling, my stepfather was trained in his younger years in Welding, so I'm hoping I could pick up some pointers from him.

The spool gun is used for when welding aluminum, becasue you have to use aluminum wire. The problem is, with aluminum wire, it is extremely soft, and bends and and what not, damaging the wire, and damged wire=no good for welding. The spool gun elimantes this. I have a Precision 185 from lincoln, and love it, but I can't TIG at all. SO if you find a place that can teach, let me know.

The spool gun is used for when welding aluminum, becasue you have to use aluminum wire. The problem is, with aluminum wire, it is extremely soft, and bends and and what not, damaging the wire, and damged wire=no good for welding. The spool gun elimantes this. I have a Precision 185 from lincoln, and love it, but I can't TIG at all. SO if you find a place that can teach, let me know.

Why would you use a spool gun over just a normal aluminum filler rod? Any particular reason?

Ah, whoops. I was under the impression that the spool gun replaced the 'tig torch' in some way. I couldn't figure out how though.

Ok, next question. Besides being quicker, why would you use MIG over TIG to weld aluminum?

Also, what would be the reason behind the spool gun for a MIG? Couldn't you just replace the internal spool with an aluminum spool and get the same result?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

Also, what would be the reason behind the spool gun for a MIG? Couldn't you just replace the internal spool with an aluminum spool and get the same result?

QUOTE]

Someone posted the reason before, but its because the wire for aluminum is to soft. If the aluminum wire was feed through the cables like a normal mig weld it would bent up inside and it would be the most frustrating thing in the world. If you ever get a chance, watch someone who is good weld aluminum. It is crazy how fast it goes. There are quite a few welders on here, but I have only talked to Tinman. He gave me all the information I needed.