automotive schooling?

fooswinger

hey,

I'm looking to get into the automotive industry as far as all aspects and I want to learn evertyhing there is to know about cars.Can anyone recommend a school to go to or anyone here need a hand working on there car so I can get the experience.Let me know?

You learn alot by being interested and by being on a car forum I'm guessing that your interested. Hang around with the guys that work on junk alot of you'll really learn alot about the fixing cars part. I got to where my junk works pretty good at the moment. I do have Mikes Fierro in my garage that needs a pretty good going over. We got it running pretty good a few nights ago and now it needs the rest worked on.

As far as schools I hear alot of good stuff about the local tech schools and universities automotive programs.

Evan

Guest 614Streets

UTI is fine if you want to get wrapped up in a year and a half of 5 hours a day of school , I went to the marine side in Orlando and we didnt have electives we had to learn all the manufactures , but my friends at the automotive and bike side could choose 2 manufacturers for there Electives. Basically at thoose schools your head will be cramed with so much information it becomes relivant with time and you learn troubleshooting , time , and service manuals along with disapline are what gives you the tools to grow with mechanics. Did I mention tools (lol).

If you enjoy mechanics go for it, if its not in your blood forget it , no mechanic is a millionaire , but over time you can make a good living doing it.

Guest 614Streets
Mechanics generally aren't in it for the money, they do it because 1. it's all they know how to do to make a living. or 2. because they really enjoy it (no matter how much they bitch about it.)

What about the savy misleading mechanics that prey on easy women? LOL.

Mechanics generally aren't in it for the money, they do it because 1. it's all they know how to do to make a living. or 2. because they really enjoy it (no matter how much they bitch about it.)

Exactly why i'm going to do it. Not everything is about money, If you love what you do, that's all that matters.

I went to Ohio Hi-Point (JVS) my junior senior years in high school. I learned a lot, and a lot of it was all "review" when i went to UTI. MY opinion on UTI is it is a nice school and all but your money would be better spent at Northwestern, which is IMO a better school all around. But UTI is in WEALTHY communities to there respective cities. So living costs are higher and the hours of school kinda suck finding work to pay for the apartment you HAVE to live in unless you are local. Good luck man.

my .02

a few things cols state has a great program and for the cost you wont go bankrupt. they offer co ops to help you pay for school. Buy a cheap car i.e. 500 bucks and do everything it takes to make it work right if you break something oh well it was on a cheap car and you can probably find whatever you broke in the junkyard. and lastly no mechanics are millionaires but I know guys at both firestone and ntb that make 1300-1700 a week. and that aint chump change. get a job as an oil/tire guy somehwere and bust your ass to learn everything you can. theres alot to be picked up by just working in a shop

UNOH's new HI-PO building is amazing. Better then anything Wyotech, UTI, or Nashville has. Our new dyno building is on SuperFLow and they say it's one of the best dyno facilities in the country. But if your looking for just an automotive degree any of the well known schools will be fine.

No, there's actually an great desire for mechanics. The problem at hand is people with the attitude like yours, that the automotive field is dying. Well, I don't see any other forms of realstic transportation in the near future, and cars will always break. So... until people stop drving cars, or racing, there will be a need.

North western in lima, damn good auto, deseil,and high performance programs

+1

I toured their automotive program a couple of years ago when I was thinking of a career change. I liked what I saw.

Guest Removed

Both not just one..... :)

Guest Removed
You don't want to get into the automotive industry it's a dying field. It's the truth.

It's not dying , its just slow.........

Then how come the industry is over 800,000 techs short?

he had a bad experience at ntb and hates the world I felt the same way after being a tech at firestone..if you arent making the best money it can be frustrating.

Nah I love working on car. I just wouldn't want younger kids to get into the field thinking they are going to make mad loot. Especially right now there just isn't the work and it's super slow, but it's like that almost everywhere right now.