I have such a stiffy for this

El Karacho1647545492

That amazes me, 7.8:1 compression, about 7-8 p.s.i., and 478 hp @7,000 and 425 ft.-lbs.@4,000 on a 179 c.i. engine. 0-60 in like 4 seconds.

And the Corvette, the new top dawg is 11:1 Compression 505 hp@ 6,300 and 470 ft.-lbs.@4,800 on a 427 c.i. engine, with a 0-60 of 3.7 seconds.

F40 $400,000+ car

Corvette Z06 $79,000 (I think that's the highest one, loaded with every option?)

EDIT : BTW I'm amazed at the amount of power pulled from the Ferrari 179 c.i. engine. AND the price difference. Figured I'd go ahead and through both thoughts into the same post.

1.1 Bar = 16.17 psi

I was thinking a Bar was more than 7 psi, but that's what I remember hearing somewhere. But I didn't think it was 16 p.s.i. So I did some research and found 1 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch.

The Bar measurement is generally used in european cars to represent atmospheric pressure. (14.7) Though there is a lot of differences depending on altitude. But for the sake of arguement let's say that 1 Bar = 14.7 P.s.i.

Most cars that run one bar of boost are running at 29.4 p.s.i.a.(pounds per square inch absolute) which is the normal 14.7 psi the engine would be pulling normally AND it's being force fed another 14.7 p.s.i.

I guess a lot of european cars that have a boost gauge generally have 3 bars on it? And I've read that some of the older Audi's actually sit at 1 bar with the engine off and at sea level.

But a guage that is only measureing boost may read 0 bars until you get into boost. In which case the 1 Bar isn't necessarily equal to any specific conversion to p.s.i. it's all based on your current atmospheric pressure. Which is turn makes 1 bar, 200% of what the engine would normally be running.

I guess this is where the old saying of 15 p.s.i. is double your engine power.

Pretty neat stuff, Thought I'd just relay it. And thanks for making me look it up.

McGraw, good job doing your research. I will add that 15 psi doesn't necessarily mean double the specific output of the engine. The major consideration is how much air the turbos are pumping. The twin turbos on this car could be pumping more (or less) than a single turbo at the same boost levels. So then a larger turbo pumping 55 lbs/min would make a lot more power than smaller twins at 20 lbs/min each. However there would be a sacrifice then in power delivery as the power band would be moved toward higher revs.

There are other variables as well, but you get the idea.

I didn't mean to necessarily compare on a 'Z06 is better' type of arguement. I was more trying to point out how impressive the 179 c.i. built engine is compared to what we consider is 'badass' today.

EDIT : And I also want a F50, have for a long time...

I love the F40.I remember an article on a guy in Cali that drove one everyday,they said insurance was about $25k a year.I seen an F40 downtown at a carshow years ago and I remember how bare the interior was,it was strictly bussiness.I think the F40 is the only Ferrari I would really like to have,the others just don't really do anything for me.I seen one in Dublin on 161 when I was going to buy a 68 Lemans off a guy that lives there.I told the guy I'd just seen an F40 and he said yea I see them all the time cause the Dealerships up here.I realized he didn't know one Ferrari from another and just let it go.

I would rather have a car I can drive everyday (for the most part) than a uber rare, stupid expensive garage eater

But you also have to understand the financial aspect of it.

If someone were to give you that car, would you keep it?? I sure as hell hope not; it would make much more sense to sell it, and take that money to pay off all your debt, buy a nice house, or whatever with the money.

A person that buys a car like that has a LOT of expendable income. They probably have a decent collection of cars (and most likely other Ferraris) already. Owning a car like that is just another toy to have.

It is also a decent investment. That car most likely won't go down in value any. It's just too rare. So the rich guy could buy it, own it for a few years, drive it a little bit, and sell it to a point of breaking even.

But you also have to understand the financial aspect of it.

If someone were to give you that car, would you keep it?? I sure as hell hope not; it would make much more sense to sell it, and take that money to pay off all your debt, buy a nice house, or whatever with the money.

A person that buys a car like that has a LOT of expendable income. They probably have a decent collection of cars (and most likely other Ferraris) already. Owning a car like that is just another toy to have.

It is also a decent investment. That car most likely won't go down in value any. It's just too rare. So the rich guy could buy it, own it for a few years, drive it a little bit, and sell it to a point of breaking even.

qft