need help with cat 6 cabling

Skinner

Ok I was given a spool of around 300 or 400 feet of cat 6 cable and was wanting to run cable to a couple areas around the house. I have a crimper to make the ends but wiring in the cable is very britle and I am unable to make my connections. I was wondering if there was anyone here that had that has done this before and could give me a hand. need to run some more line and make the ends.

Also the main reason I am doing this is I plan on putting a wireless router/swich in the kitchen (since its in the middle of the house). I am wanting to know what brand/model i should pick up. I currently have a linksys 4 port router switch that I have in the basment and the wireless router will be link off that. Oh and this is for a Mac powerbook.

TIA

Category

Type

Spectral B/W

Length

LAN Applications

Notes

Cat3

UTP

16 MHz

100m

10Base-T, 4Mbps

Now mainly for telephone cables

Cat4

UTP

20 MHz

100m

16Mbps

Rarely seen

Cat5

UTP

100MHz

100m

100Base-Tx,ATM, CDDI

Common for current LANs

Cat5e

UTP

100MHz

100m

1000Base-T

Common for current LANs

Cat6

UTP

250MHz

100m

Emerging

Cat7

ScTP

600MHz

100m

Shawn, if you need that cat6 tested after you get the ends crimped on I can bring by my fluke tester. Your on the west side right?

Thorne, How many and how long of runs do you need? If you only need cat5e I can hook you up with about any length. If you want cat6 I think I only have up to 30ft. patch cables. PM me if you want some.

mustang nut that is true but after a certin distance ( I cant rember) it will get VERY VERY unreliable. just like CAT3 can do 100mbit. For that matter i did 10mbit ( I think onoly 10) over Flat Satin.

But yeah the run i need is only i think 25 foot and only cat5/5e I don't need gig . just trying to get a run upstairs to my ps2 I will pm you latyer once i messure.

mustang nut that is true but after a certin distance ( I cant rember) it will get VERY VERY unreliable. just like CAT3 can do 100mbit. For that matter i did 10mbit ( I think onoly 10) over Flat Satin.

But yeah the run i need is only i think 25 foot and only cat5/5e I don't need gig . just trying to get a run upstairs to my ps2 I will pm you latyer once i messure.

cool.

I thought the length was Just under 300ft isn't it. I agree if you need to move data at a gig over copper the best bet is to use cat6.