Looking for a Job!

Big Chief2011647545501

I am graduating from OU in June, and am looking for a job to start out with. I'm a finance and Economics major. I've had and extensive background in fine dinning restaurants and manual labor positions. I'm free to travel and trying to find a home base in columbus's German Village or that area since my girlfriend is working for riverside hospital. I dont really want to go into politics but if I have to thats fine. Anyone that can help please let me know.

Thanks,

Keith Semrau

Guest MissTypeS
National City, Huntington, JP Morgan Chase, Bank One, Discover Card, Nationwide... are you seriously having a hard time finding a job with your degree? It seems like all of the banks are hiring and I'm sure there are opportunities in the finance departments of nearly every major corporation.

Guest MissTypeS
I'd stay far away from financial advisor positions... they're usually a "we'll teach you, you open your own" type situations. And there's nothing wrong with being a "bank bitch" - you have to start somewhere. There are too many new college grads with your degree for you to expect a middle-level position right out of the gate. I'm not trying to be a bitch or put you in your place... just be very willing to consider anything that will get you to your final goal in 5 years.

I'd stay far away from financial advisor positions... they're usually a "we'll teach you, you open your own" type situations. And there's nothing wrong with being a "bank bitch" - you have to start somewhere. There are too many new college grads with your degree for you to expect a middle-level position right out of the gate. I'm not trying to be a bitch or put you in your place... just be very willing to consider anything that will get you to your final goal in 5 years.

Truer words have never been spoken. Unless of course you are a girl with a similar degree...then you go straight to Marketplace Sales Account Coordinator... :p

-Marc

I got into Bank One (now Chase) 4 years ago without a degree.

However, I did have 10 years of job experience :). I guess that helped out.

The morale around here at the bank kinda sucks. They're always canning people left and right now that we have merged with Chase (overlapping jobs).

I will say it's pretty tough to get in (Depending on what job you want)

Guest MissTypeS
Truer words have never been spoken. Unless of course you are a girl with a similar degree...then you go straight to Marketplace Sales Account Coordinator... :p

-Marc

haha Hey now... My degree isn't in finance and my position is still relatively basic, so don't get all huffy on me :p I also have 2 years of business experience on the recent college grads so I'm no longer entry-level. I started at the bottom just like most newbies, I'm just quickly working my way through the ranks ;)

haha Hey now... My degree isn't in finance and my position is still relatively basic; so I have boobs and that's how i'm quickly moving through the ranks ;)

:p

jk.

Everyone starts at the bottom. The people that are good at what they do and show strong initiative are the ones that will advance quickly.

-Marc

actually with a finance degree in Columbus you shouldn't have a problem finding a job that pays 35-40k to start out with. Apply for analyst jobs, you usually advance pretty fast with those and they usually have a very nice pay scale.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MissTypeS

Yeah they called me to work for them too. As I mentioned before though, I'd stay far away from financial advisor positions... they're usually a "we'll teach you, you open your own" type situations.

Also, check these out:

http://www.ameriprisesuck.com/

http://www.amexsux.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

I realize that practically all companies have the potential to have these kinds of sites against them, but its always interesting to learn a little from those who have already dealt with the company.