Need advice about bike purchase

Cougar1647545494

Ok. I don't want a bike, however, my 18yr old brother does. We've been riding since he was like 10, i was 13. He's really good, but that's really a null point. He's never ridden a street bike, and now that he's 18 he's trying to finance one. Obviously, he has no credit, so no loans for him. He's been nagging me for almost two months now to get me to cosign, i'm only 21 and my credit is very little, either way, i wouldn't be able to make the payments if needed.

On top of that, he wants an R1, an R1! That's like the second fastest street production bike, no? He also has 6 points on his license, a wreckless ops, and running a stop sign. There's NO WAY he will be able to afford insurance on top of the payment, he works for Dominos for gods sake. Basically what I'm asking, I've slowly been getting through to him, but I need something to pretty much shoot down his hopes for now. There's no way he's going to be able to get a bike anytime soon.

I can't believe he even has thoughs of a 1000cc bike. :lol:

First of all, if he can't get a loan in his own name, he can't afford it period. It's not like this is his first cheap car and his parents are helping him out. He is looking at a second vehicle that he can't even ride year round.

Second, he needs to call around on insurance. Since he will have a loan on the vehicle, HE HAS TO HAVE FULL COVERAGE. If he wrecks the bike or the lender finds out, he shit out of luck. With his record, I would be surprised if it isn't MORE than $1,000 a month for full coverage.

Third, he could start on a 1000 but I don't recommend it. Esp with his driving history already, he is going to kill himself or someone else because he clearly doesn't know when to say when and SLOW THE FUCK DOWN sometimes..... :nod:

Good luck but the $$$$$ will probably keep him from it even if he trys on his own with our/your advice or not.

P.S...please have him call and get a quote or go online. This could be hilarious what his insurance rate will be. I wish I could see the look on his face when they give it to him... :grin2:

Sweet. I already ran insurance through his head once, but I'll call and try to get a quote on an 18yr old w/ 6pts on his license. He keeps telling me he will get gap insurance, but like you guys stated, you need full coverage when you have loan. That's exactly right, he's very cocky, immature, and needs to grow up a bit before he gets anything, I still love him though, he'd definitely kill himself or someone else. This is already going against our parents, he'll learn sooner or later.

Does he have any clue how "GAP INSURANCE" works?

It only covers what he owes over what the insurance company pays. HE STILL HAS TO PAY FULL COVERAGE to be covered by that. It's not like the $12 a month gap insurance is going to cover a $11k bike if he looses it. :(

Has he not figured out that insurance is going to be 5-times A MONTH what the bike PAYEMENT is going to be????

From the sounds of it, I doubt he is considering gear money into that price.. It adds up quick. The basic helmet/jacket/gloves/boots can easily hit or exceed $1000.

If he is planning on riding with a bandanna though, that is a whole different battle I suppose.

Dont try to completely talk him out of the idea, just try to convince him to start on a smaller beater bike. No full coverage, leftover gear money, no suicide, etc...

Also add on the TAX. Easy to overlook when you get excited.

I think the best investment for you is to take out a life insurance policy on him if he says, "SCREW ALL OF YOU, I AM GETTING IT!"

Probably the best investment of the hole deal.... :(

There's no way he's getting it by himself, and I (as long as my other siblings) see no need for him to have it. He's too young, immature, and thinks he rules the world.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. I don't want a bike, however, my 18yr old brother does. We've been riding since he was like 10, i was 13. He's really good, but that's really a null point. He's never ridden a street bike, and now that he's 18 he's trying to finance one. Obviously, he has no credit, so no loans for him. He's been nagging me for almost two months now to get me to cosign, i'm only 21 and my credit is very little, either way, i wouldn't be able to make the payments if needed.

On top of that, he wants an R1, an R1! That's like the second fastest street production bike, no? He also has 6 points on his license, a wreckless ops, and running a stop sign. There's NO WAY he will be able to afford insurance on top of the payment, he works for Dominos for gods sake. Basically what I'm asking, I've slowly been getting through to him, but I need something to pretty much shoot down his hopes for now. There's no way he's going to be able to get a bike anytime soon.

Just tell him to try to get insurance for one first and then hell give up... on a 600 my insurance was 375.00 a month full coverage and i have 4 points