96' cbr 600 or 02' katana 6000 THAT IS THE QUESTION

Guest 4tknox

Guest 4tknox

I've been shopping around in order to find the most bang for the buck in terms of purchasing a first bike. I've got about $3000 to spare and the best deals I've found are an 02' suzuki katana 600 with 6,000 miles and a 96' cbr 600f with 9000 miles. The venders are askin 3400 for the suzuki, and 3000 for the honda. They are both in good condition but, I just can't make up my mind. Woud someone with some experience in the market of retail please give me some feedback, because it would be extremely helpful. my email is 4tknox@sbcglobal.net or just reply on the forum. Please help!

speed kills, but it's worth the risk

I had a 94 CBR(F2) and road my friends Katana - I think it was a 93 or something. I don't believe they have changed a lot since then, but I didn't like the way it felt and it was definitely down on power compared to my 94 CBR, which is down on power compared to a 96 CBR. I believe the 96 also has some suspension upgrades that my 94 didn't have.

Hands down, the CBR is the better bike. More power, better handling, lighter.

They also make excellent track bikes should you ever decide to do that, and lots were made so parts abound (lots of Katanas were made as well, so there are lots of parts for those, too).

And Integra 906, thanks for your opinion. I'll bet you couldn't push a Katan to 60% of it's capability, let alone a CBR. :rollseyes:

For a FIRST BIKE, I would lean towards a Katana. Nicer riding position and still plenty of power for a beginner.

If you think you are gonna hop onto a CBR your first day and be pullin 80MPH wheelies, you're fooling yourself. You need to learn how to ride first.

+1 Katana

KillJoy

Another thing you want to consider is insurance. If you are going to need to get a loan for either bike, they will require FULL Coverage. If you have the cash, you can just have the State Minimum.

Rates would be much, much lower on the Katana. You need to look into this being a 19 year old getting their FIRST bike w/ no previous experience (assumably).

KillJoy

For a FIRST BIKE, I would lean towards a Katana. Nicer riding position and still plenty of power for a beginner.

If you think you are gonna hop onto a CBR your first day and be pullin 80MPH wheelies, you're fooling yourself. You need to learn how to ride first.

+1 Katana

KillJoy

Have you ridden a Katana?

They are the biggest POS ever made. Out of these 2, it isn't even a comparison. That's like saying which is better a Cavalier or a 325i. Plus the early year Katana's had a cooling problem in the head and would overheat in traffic.

CBR.....ALL THE WAY! :grin2:

A katana is definatly a good first bike. Like killjoy said, good riding position. Any 600 is going to be more than enough power for a first time rider. I personally would choose the CBR but it would not be my first bike. I actually owned a Katana as my first and the insurance was very cheap. Progressive charged me about $350-$400 for the year. You should also consider that the Katana is most likely Fuel Injected if its on 02 and the CBR is not.

Got-busa- You go ahead to a BWM dealer, hop in a 325i, and I will hand you your ass in my Cavalier. :)

You are missing the point. The older CBR's are much better bikes than even the newest Katana's. As for your other comment, if you put enough money in anything it will be fast. Which one is going to be more reliable and worth more when you go to sell it?

Funny how a 96 CBR is worth almost as much as a 02 Katana, that right there should tell you something... ;)

Plus the older CBR is comfy. They weren't nearly the purpose built racers that the newer models are. I'll take the CBR for an 8-hour ride before the Katana... :grin2: