Revisit CV boots ripped?

Trouble Maker

Ok, I originally posted here about how both of my front outer CV boots were ripped. Despite the fact that I replaced the passengers side one six months ago. Well I just got around to replacing the oil yesterday and got a chance to look at them. The drivers side one is in fact ripped, no biggie, it's probably original, 105kmi. and ripped shortly after the other one. The passengers side one which I 'just' replaced isn't actually ripped. The techs at MAG saw grease and assumed it was ripped. It actually appears as if grease is coming out of the end of the CV boot where one of the clamps are. It is not ripped. There is the little side of the boot where the half shaft is, there is a clamp there and that side is fine. The big clamp that clamps the boot to the outer part of the CV joint looks fine, and feels tight enough, but the grease looks like it's squeezing out between the boot and the CV joint.

Anyone have any clue why it would do this? I'm pretty sure that it's tight enough. Only thing I can think is that it's not a breathable CV boot and I didn't 'burp' it, but it didn't really look like it had very much air in it. Regardless it looks like it's lost enough grease that I'm going to have to take that clamp off, put more in there, and put a new clamp on it. :o

Some people had suggested that the tranny (and I thought maybe engine mounts) might be on their way out causing excessive movement of the tranny, and there for half shafts, putting twist on the boots. Well I tried to bench press numerous spots on the engine and tranny last night, and the whole suspension started to unweight and the engine and tranny had basically zero movement. I guess since the passengers side one did not re-rip, this isn't as much of a concern any ways. So I think they were just old.

TIA for any advice! :woowoo:

Guest Removed
Is the passenger side really tossing grease, or is it left over grease from the old bad axle? Anyway some of todays replacement axle's are cheap, and basically junk, There are reman axle's and then there are premium axle replacements...if i remember right, didnt you just replace the boot?

Yes, stock axle. I caught that one really early and there seemed to be nothing wrong with the joint, so I just replaced the boot.

It really looks like new grease. I tried to clean it up as well as I could last time (I used a ton of brake parts cleaner). I can run my finger around where the grease seems to be coming out from, and my finger is covered in grease. The only spots were there is 'gobs' of grease collecting on parts now is in a cicle (or plane) from that circle.

Yeah, I cleaned most of the grease out. I can't remember the style that this C/V joint is called, but it's the other common one that's not a triple rotor. Looks like this I moved it around a lot and got most of the grease out (I would spin it a few times, wipe all of the grease off, spin it some more, wipe again). I didn't go at it with any type cleaner though. There is definitely more grease that that has seeped out than I left in it. There's enough grease on my brake lines, back of the caliper, suspension components, that the guy at MAG thought the boot had ripped.

I didn't use the 'oem' style tool to clamp down the one use only clamps, but I don't see how I could have gotten it any tighter. I used a snipping tool for tile, has about a quarter of an inch gap in between the two sides of the tool. When you tighten down those one use clamps, you ‘pinch’ the metal. If it were very much tighter, the two sides where you ‘pinch’ would be touching and it couldn’t physical get any tighter.

I've actually decided that I'm going to just clean off the excess grease that has already come out and keep a close eye on it to see how much/if any more grease comes out. Maybe I just put too much in there to begin with? If very much more comes out, I will redo it.

It’s an OEM clamp, I would think it should work just fine….

Guest Removed
if the grease is getting out around the clamp try using a large hose clamp and then snip off the excess with aviation snips or dykes

Hose clamp may hit the ball joint or abs sensor....thats why cv clamps are flat..

Hose clamp may hit the ball joint or abs sensor....thats why cv clamps are flat..

Also, a radiator calmp is heavier on one side than than the other. That could possiably cause a vibration in the drive train. I realize that this is true of a c/v clamp as well, but the weight difference is negligiable compared to that of the radiator clamp.