NHRA - firejacket required for a non-factory turbo/sc/nitrous?

Buck531

NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006

Protective Clothing Changes

The Protective Clothing of the E.T. section of the NHRA Rulebook states which jacket and/or pants are needed for 10.00 and slower and 9.99 and quicker.

Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitous-equiped cars, with or without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall. Please review the Protective Clothing sections, Section 1A – Superpro, Pro, Sportsman and Section 1B – Advanced E.T. of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

Section 1-A, located on page 24 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook read as follows:

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory.

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) to 11.49 (*7.35 1/8 mile): Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.

The same Spec for Advanced E.T. is located in Section 1B, located on page #27 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

What’s Needed At 135 mph?

For 2006, the Rulebook clarifies that any vehicle that runs faster than 135 mph must meet minimum requirements for 9.99 –seconds. In year’s past, this 9.99 and/or 135 mph break was not clearly defined in the e.t. section of the rulebook, leading to some confusion.

The minimum requirements for any vehicle that runs 9.99 or runs faster than 135 mph includes an NHRA chassis certification, NHRA competition license, and upgraded safety equipment (neck collar, jacket and pants, and gloves).

Further details about the 9.99 requirements may be found in Section 1A – Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman section of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook, beginning on page #18.

Computers

During NHRA competition, no portable computer (e.g., laptop, PDA, Palm Pilot, programmer, ect.) may be used or located in a vehicle at any point beyond the staging area ready line. All functions or values must be pre-set prior to this point. This includes Grudge Race and Time Trial runs.

Page #224 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

What the gay?

Edit - That , and the fact that you can't have a laptop/palm/whatever to log your scans? jesustittytapdancingchrist?

Guest Removed

If you have spray, you must have a jacket...No matter how fast you go!

the computer one i understand, just think. your car rolls or some shit and your palm polit (or laptop) pokes you in the eye! :rolleyes:

Yeah. but what about a turbo, or s/c that wasn't factory installed. They're saying that a jacket is required for that too.

My car is different, "might" be fast in some aspects, but jesus, it's not a 9 second car.

Guest Removed

Well you can slip through the loop hole there, OEM, your's is a oem swap. right?

Just like the turbo Grandprix and shit..

I mean it is the LTZ right...lol

Guest Removed
I heard about this, it SUX! Though it doesn't apply to me. Also any car with a rear mounted battery like mine MUST have an exterior cut-off switch on the rear of the car.

That is a old rule....

Well you can slip through the loop hole there, OEM, your's is a oem swap. right?

I mean it is the LTZ right...lol

From what I understand is that any power adder that was NOT installed by the factory falls under this group. Even if it's a turbo.

But yeah. It's JUST a Lumina. That's all.. nothing more, nothing less.

This almost falls along hte lines of my helmet question last week. Should I get a cheap ass helmet, put it in the trunk and then just put it on before racing. Like you said, it's a Lumina. How fast can it REALLY go? :)

Guest Removed

Cheap open face helmet. As long as the tag's are in it.

Do you really think the guy's at tech at test & tune are going to know if the lumina had a supercharger on it or not, I mean with all these GTP's and what not. ;)

Guest 614Streets
Reminds me of when I had my regulators on the firewall then found out they had to be 6 inches in front of the flywheel. Nevermind the fact your allowed to run braided fuel line on the firewall and oh yeah if my sfi flywheel comes off the 4340 ,shears the arp bolts and comes through the csi composite trans shield , well i guess its ok with the nhra if it shears my break booster off the firewall and i crash in the corn field , just as long as there no fire, bwhahaha.

Guest Whinin
So since my supercharger is a GM Part and was installed BY GM, I don't have to wear them jackets right? Or since it was not on the car when it was made? I'm confused....lol

If your referring to my car the rule means nothing to me, I'm naturally aspirated.

I wasn't aware of the cut-off switch rule because it never applied to me until now as I have my battery in the rear, and no switch.

Guest Removed
If your referring to my car the rule means nothing to me, I'm naturally aspirated.

I wasn't aware of the cut-off switch rule because it never applied to me until now as I have my battery in the rear, and no switch.

No , I was talkin to buck.

gay, all these fucking rules and regulations, it's gonna get to the point that if you want to test and tune, you're gonna need 1000 bucks or more in safety equipment just fuck around with your daily driver. This shit has fucking got to stop. Safety is one thing, but come on!!

The laptop thing sucks, but I think people will get away with that one.

The jacket thing doesn't bother me; I run fast enough that I'm required to have one anyway. They aren't that expensive.

The gloves thing sucks; guess I'll have to pony up for that. :(

• 4 months later...
you have to keep in mind that they had to cover there asses from all of the retards that own a set of wrenchs and slap some real unsafe shit together. Think about the amount of super bad/unsafe body work you have seen on ricers cars and now think about what those people would let slid if they thought noone whould see it. Since to a ton of people it only matters if you look good. Just becouse you have common sence don't expect others too

Damn from the dead.

Anyways. I've been to norwalk and Kilkare and raced sub 14.00 passes w/o a helmet. Never was questioned either. However, those were both track days and not regular test and tunes. Screw the fire jacket.

Damn from the dead.

Anyways. I've been to norwalk and Kilkare and raced sub 14.00 passes w/o a helmet. Never was questioned either. However, those were both track days and not regular test and tunes. Screw the fire jacket.

I ran the Corvette without a helmet, they never even asked. Good thing, too... I don't think I could have fit a helmet on my head and driven.