Need your LSx tuned?

MrMeanGreen

www.customls1tuning.com

Some of you know Bill Wright, he's local and done pretty much all of the tuning on the Formula for the last few years. Yeah, there's a few others staring to pop up put there, but I still have Bill do my work because he's well proven and has a killer track record. Hell, his prices shoot anyone else outta the way.

In the next week we'll be attacking speed density tuning on my '98, which most people say is impossible. Not so. Stay tuned for details.

In the next week we'll be attacking speed density tuning on my '98, which most people say is impossible. Not so. Stay tuned for details.

Not to be all look at me or anything, nor am I saying Bills tuning abilities are no good. He does good work and has alot of cars tuned under his belt. But speed density should be easy, my car has been that way since the cam install. I think tuning the maf is more complicated then speed density. Also the new version has the ability to tune with a wideband.

Actually, moly lube is all that's needed. Our studs/bolts don't impact the water jackets :)

Speaking of, look at this shit, Sam:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474616

Are they threaded all the way down in the block. I have never seen that before. Like I said I use head bolts, not studs so I dunno. I do know that the top 5 head bolts dont get torqued the same as the other 10 15MM bolts. I wouldnt start the car like that, bound to get some serious leaks.

Yep, all three are threaded down by hand and I used an allen wrench to "snug" them into the block. Same height and everything, so it's not like one is caught on some dirty threads or something.

They get torqued last in sequence behind the main studs, at 22 ft lbs. I don't plan on jack shit until this issue is resolved. Someone mentioned LS2 specs, I wonder if these are for the LS2 and ARP snuck them into the box by accident. Weird shit.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471543

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443095

Jon, lose the attitude. I'm not the one replacing head gaskets or pistons because my tune sucked.

my tune doesnt suck and i have 0 knock at 26 degrees. who said anything about replacing pistons??

Yep, all three are threaded down by hand and I used an allen wrench to "snug" them into the block. Same height and everything, so it's not like one is caught on some dirty threads or something.

They get torqued last in sequence behind the main studs, at 22 ft lbs. I don't plan on jack shit until this issue is resolved. Someone mentioned LS2 specs, I wonder if these are for the LS2 and ARP snuck them into the box by accident. Weird shit.

That is some crazy shit. Definetly looks like the wrong set of studs. Got a good tip for you, make sure you tighten all ground connections tight, I found out the hard way when my car was in limp mode for 2 days straight trying to race... :mad:

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

I have been tuning LS1 cars since Feburary 2003, starting with my own 2001 Camaro SS M6. Over the past 3 years I have tuned over 50 LSX based vehicles (my car probably over 100 times), a few that are on this board. I'm not a shop, just an individual offering affordable tuning to the general public. I feel my prices are very competitive. I use a Sony laptop with 2 batteries and HP Tuners for tuning. I also use a LM-1 Wideband O2 when needed.

For those that know me, know that I am a very fair and easy going guy. Some past customers have left their cars with me for a few days so I can work out the cold/hot start issues. Their cars stayed in my garage when it wasn't being worked on, right next to my SS. I have tuned cars from all over the state of Ohio: Columbus, Toledo, Lima, Zanesville, Cleveland, Mansfield, Dayton, and Cincinatti to name a few cities of past customers.

I can also do a mail order tune with my bench top harness to get your car up and running, especially if you installed bigger injectors and/or a big cam in your auto.

More updates are to come on my website in the coming weeks, including a LS1 Tech section with tips, ideas, & recommended mods.

As for MAF vs SD tuning, one is not really easier than the other. Most of the cars that I have tuned had MAFs on them and make awesome power. I've tuned my VE table fully about 3-4 times now and I am using a MAF, my car runs and drives like stock.

The one downside to SD tuning is time. To get your VE table SD tuned, it takes many hours of street driving to hit a lot of cells, once you makes the changes, you have to hit the street again to see if your changes are where they should be. Having a loading dyno would be ideal but then your dyno bill goes way up.

The last car I SD tuned, (Camaro SS 383 A4) I put about 8-10 hours into it. After the VE was tuned, we decided to go back to using the MAF for smoother tranny shifts around town. Cold and hot starts are fine, no stalling and with spinning tires at the track, last it did was 11.1 at 125MPH.

Anthonys 1998 Formula is going to be a great challenge to say the least since he is running boost and you can't have a true extended VE table due to the OS. From the research that we have done, it should work out fine, just got to make sure we adjust all the tables to trick the computer since we are going to use a 2 bar MAP sensor.

If you need your LSX engine tuned from mild to wild and want someone that has many years of experience and have tuned dozen and dozen of LSX cars all around Ohio, feel free to send me a email or give me a call.

Thanks,

Bill Wright

Guest powers
anthony you do not want to "snug" those studs down. You want than hand tight only. By snugging them down you can cause a change in the clamming force due to expansion of the block.

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

I have been tuning LS1 cars since Feburary 2003, starting with my own 2001 Camaro SS M6. Over the past 3 years I have tuned over 50 LSX based vehicles (my car probably over 100 times), a few that are on this board. I'm not a shop, just an individual offering affordable tuning to the general public. I feel my prices are very competitive. I use a Sony laptop with 2 batteries and HP Tuners for tuning. I also use a LM-1 Wideband O2 when needed.

For those that know me, know that I am a very fair and easy going guy. Some past customers have left their cars with me for a few days so I can work out the cold/hot start issues. Their cars stayed in my garage when it wasn't being worked on, right next to my SS. I have tuned cars from all over the state of Ohio: Columbus, Toledo, Lima, Zanesville, Cleveland, Mansfield, Dayton, and Cincinatti to name a few cities of past customers.

I can also do a mail order tune with my bench top harness to get your car up and running, especially if you installed bigger injectors and/or a big cam in your auto.

More updates are to come on my website in the coming weeks, including a LS1 Tech section with tips, ideas, & recommended mods.

As for MAF vs SD tuning, one is not really easier than the other. Most of the cars that I have tuned had MAFs on them and make awesome power. I've tuned my VE table fully about 3-4 times now and I am using a MAF, my car runs and drives like stock.

The one downside to SD tuning is time. To get your VE table SD tuned, it takes many hours of street driving to hit a lot of cells, once you makes the changes, you have to hit the street again to see if your changes are where they should be. Having a loading dyno would be ideal but then your dyno bill goes way up.

The last car I SD tuned, (Camaro SS 383 A4) I put about 8-10 hours into it. After the VE was tuned, we decided to go back to using the MAF for smoother tranny shifts around town. Cold and hot starts are fine, no stalling and with spinning tires at the track, last it did was 11.1 at 125MPH.

Anthonys 1998 Formula is going to be a great challenge to say the least since he is running boost and you can't have a true extended VE table due to the OS. From the research that we have done, it should work out fine, just got to make sure we adjust all the tables to trick the computer since we are going to use a 2 bar MAP sensor.

If you need your LSX engine tuned from mild to wild and want someone that has many years of experience and have tuned dozen and dozen of LSX cars all around Ohio, feel free to send me a email or give me a call.

Thanks,

Bill Wright

Bill,

Watch your timing tables in the histogram as you probably know, any type of scaling of ANY input will effect engine load calculation and will alter timing.