Engine Bulider/Shop?

John Bruh

I bought a 91 Galant vr4 and it over heated on the freeway, fired my piston rings and im not sure about the head. But i have a spare block when i bought my talon, it was bored .30 over with weisco piston, rods, etc. But the motor was but by the guy i bought it off of, and i want to make sure he did everything right and i am able to use this block. So could anyone on here help me, tell me a shop that could look over the block for cheap, i dont have any money to spare right now...?

I'd appericate any help. Thanks John

Guest Removed

I take it , it's a shortblock assembled? Too completely check it out , It would need taken apart, and everything checked, and then reassembled!

Or are you looking for someone too eyeball it and say " it look's ok"?

Guest No_Speed4_You
yes it is a short block, i would want someone to take it apart and make sure its ok, i would but i have never taken apart a motor.

Is it a 4G63? If you're going to have it taken apart, might as well do a new headgasket, you never can be too sure. Make sure to get a balance shaft eliminator kit but if it's built you probably already got one. Try Slowmotion motorsports.

Guest Removed
If you're going to have it taken apart, might as well do a new headgasket, you never can be too sure. Make sure to get a balance shaft eliminator kit but if it's built you probably already got one. Try Slowmotion motorsports.

ummm, a short block doesn't have a head on it!

Guest Removed
No matter where the cam's are, A short block has no head('s).long block has the head('s) and what not on it.... oil pan's, timing cover's, valve cover's, Some may or may not come with these ! And alot of place's no longer sell short block reman engine's(auto zone, napa,etc)..

Im sorry but i dont want to have slowmotion work on my motor, my buddy bought $3500 of parts from slomo and they said it would take 5-7 business days, turns out after going there 4 times and repeat phone calls its going to take more than a month. So i dont want my motor there longer than intended.

I'm not trying to knock slomo they make sick shit, just i need this done asap

Guest BLUE BY U
Ok i'm confused. Short blocks don't have heads are you talking about just the 4g63 motor or all motors in general?

Any motor is a short block if the head(s) are not on it, anyways i would take it mike phillips in grove city, he does ips's motor work 875-0040

Guest Removed
Any motor is a short block if the head(s) are not on it, anyways i would take it mike phillips in grove city, he does ips's motor work 875-0040

plus 1 on mike!

Guest Removed
Yeah, my impression of short block=block and rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, all assembled). Long Block=Fully assembled, maybe without a few sensors, but pretty much ready to put in the vehicle.

alot of long block's, are by no means ready to bolt in! No intake, no oil pan,etc...you are thinking of a turnkey engine, bolt it in and go! :p

The oil pan thing I didn't know. To me, anything intake related (manifold, TB, injectors or carb) is not part of the 'motor'. I'm talking valve covers down to the oil pan (minus maybe spark plugs and wires obviously).

My thinking is if you go to a builder and say "I need you to rebuild X engine" what are they going to/should they give you. Obviously in a real life situation all of the specifics are something you would talk out with them, and would be on a quote, but I'm just talking in generalities.

Guest Removed

oil pan's, timing cover's, water pump in some case's, valve cover's, very rarely come on a long block, unless you are thinking of a crate motor, and sometime's those dont have those part's. it all depend's on the engine, and in most case's , who you buy the motor from..

Like the long block we got from napa a while back, no oil pan, no valve cover's,no flywheel, no balancer,etc. the only thing we got was the oil pump and pick up and a gasket set!

Know when you spend the big buck's on like a crate engine, most are carb to pan, and have already been dyno'd, but thats not the case all the time either!

A complete engine, is way off from a long block!

and yes when having one built, the builder and you are the one's that work out final details!