Langka chip repair kit

mmrmnhrm

Has anybody tried this thing out? While doing a most excellent job detailing my car over the weekend, Andy spotted a pair of spots on the hood about the size of a #2 pencil lead where a truck had kicked up a pebble and nicked the finish. They've got a website here, or if anybody has a better suggestion, I'm all for it. Touch-up kit should be arriving at the dealer's in a couple days.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to give this a +0.3 for the moment (I'm still looking for the kit DarkFormula tuned me on to), here's what happened:

The two chips were quite deep. Don't think they dug metal, but they were definitely down into the primer. Area-wise, the one was a pair of dings a little larger than your tyipcal #2 pencil, the other a full-sized pea. Weekend before Easter, started on the fix with a washing of the hood, followed by a cleaning of just that spot (the chips were about half an inch apart) with alcohol, as per instructions. Filled in the spots with the touch-up paint and let it sit most of the afternoon. Went back to it after dinner, and built the blobs up above hood level. Dried overnight. Sunday morning, went out with the bottle, a torn up t-shirt, and their plastic credit card looking thing, and proceeded to buff the bumps. As the goop started working into the paint, it turned a bright silverish color as it worked into the blob, but quickly started to melt into it (and the blob melted onto the tshirt scrap), leaving the chips still there, but not quite as deep. Got some water, washed it out, and added the next layer of paint. Since then, I think I've gone through this process maybe a dozen times, until Monday evening I noticed the area between the two chips started to get cloudy, and stopped. At this point, the chips are nowhere near their original size or depth, and the area that is totally filled is nearly indistinguishable from the original paint. *HOWEVER* this cloudy area is telling me to stop and wait. Once the rain lets up, I plan on doing another paint fill, but after reading several posts on other message boards via Google, it seems this is a common occurance with this stuff and dark-colored cars. Nothing a claying and some polish won't fix, apparently, but I don't want to make it any worse than it already is.

For now, I'd say stay away from this stuff if you have a dark colored car. If you have something light, you might be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

If that section around the chips needs a little clay / buffer-love after you're finished with it give me a call and I'll take care of it for you and re-apply protection. shouldn't be more than a 20 minute ordeal if you want to stop over one night.

Andy