drum brakes

evan9381

can someone give me a few pointers on drum brakes? ive never messed with them...lately ive been getting a pulsing sound in the rear, which im about 99% sure its coming from the drum brakes. if i take the wheel off, release the emergency brake and spin the assembly, on one side it stops at a certain point every time it goes around. i can turn it past it with my hand with a bit of force. on the other side, it stops at 2 points.

like i said, ive never messed with them so i dont know what kind of issues im going to be dealing with. i heard something about a shoe and a pad...something

is this something i can easily do myself?

Pull the drum off (the outer part) inside there is a set of shoes that press against the drum, sounds like you have a worn shoe or the shoe fell off in there. Probably have to pull a castle nut with like 121324235 lbs of torque on it. If you have 50k miles or so, you probably just need new shoes and drums.

hehe good luck. I always hate taking drum brakes apart. I've never replaced them on anything I've owned because normally I get them apart and the damned things ain't even worn so I put it back together and forget it.

If you do get it apart becareful to note how all the springs and hooks attach. Maybe even take a few pictures because that shit ain't fun if you don't do it every day.

Evan