Carbon fiber+LS1+airplane=...

coty061885

Prop speed isnt always important... its the speed @ pitch. You can run a shallow pitch prop and run a 10,000 rpm and make the same thrust as a a deep pitched prop at half the rpm. Like a boat, the as long as the engine is turning the prop, its under load and using torque to counter-act the forces of wind resistance. Many of the old WW2 planes used Jaguar V10 and V12 engines... they dont have to turn tons of RPM, just have enough power to spin a deep pitched prop.

I would think a boosted LS1 would work quiet well. Being under constant load, it would always be in boost and make all the power and torque you could ever need for a tiny ass little plane like that. I wouldnt be surprised if they made it for racing purposes only.

they dont have to turn tons of RPM, just have enough power to spin a deep pitched prop.

And a gear box. Your speed will always be dependant on prop speed, no matter what the pitch. Keep in mind, your prop disturbs the air as it passes through it, a steep pitch prop isn't efficient at all at high speed.

You need horsepower more then torque. I'm not saying the LS1 wont get the plane off the ground, P51s and Spitfires used similar layouts. But this isn't 1945, it's 2006, we've got better stuff. The gas turbine ("turbo prop") has far surpassed the piston engine in this feild. Lighter, more HP per pound (and more torque actualy)....and more expensive. But a 300hp Turbine Legend of that size will tag 250mph with great efficiency. And you cant beat it's reat of climb. I'd like to see the results of this thing. On this is for sure:

It damn sure wont handle well That wing needs to com forward at least 2ft to hit the planes center of gravity. All the weight in that thing will be ahead of the prop, unless you put 200lbs in the tail, in which it'll be a pig. Looks like a speed plane and nothing more.

Dig this:

http://www.legendaryaircraft.com/firewallforward

from what i understand the only necessity for turbos on plane motors is at highaltitudes when the air gets thiner the turbo allows the engine to continue breathing.

this is true, but even boosted engines lose power at altitude... ask the guys that run up pikes peak ;)

FYI - I did once, and they lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% of thier horsepower from bottom to top... i think they mentioned it on an episode of Monster Garage too :lol: