VW Jetta VR6 Help?

jetta2NV

Hey guys, i have a 99 MK3 VR6 jetta that i am having a problem with. When i first start the car is runs fine and has plenty of power, however after the car runs for about 5 min it starts to lose power. The car revs fine up to about 3k rpms but after that it starts to rev up slowly to about 5500 rpms and then its fine again from about 5500 rpms to redline. Its not very often that i drive the car that hard but its still something i would like fixed. Since the problem started the car has been getting about 17mpg on the highway and the smell of unburned gas comming out the exhaust. The car also has a check engine light that is saying bad cam sensor but i have replaced it twice and it still has not solved the problem. Could it be a bad wire from the ecu to the cam sensor casing it to not work? Because even with a new cam sensor the light stays on and it keeps saying its bad. Would a cam sensor cause the car to run like it does?

Has anyone had this problem? Thanks Cory.

the proper way to repair "german enginering" = scrap kraut box, purchase anything that did not come from europe. ;)

I don't know the history on your car, nor do I have the flow charts in front of me, but if I had to guess, I'd deffinately say that it's related to your cam sensor problem. I would deffinatley check the wiring, and I'd also make sure that the camshaft is timed correctly. sometimes the belt may slip a tooth or 2 and that can all kinds of strange problems.

sometimes the belt may slip a tooth or 2 and that can all kinds of strange problems.

It's a timing chain, so that's not it.

I don't see how it would cause a cam sensor fault, but have you checked the coil pack? That could cause the car to stumble under hard acceleration, but you would be throwing misfire codes like crazy, so that's probably not it. Not sure if you are a member of Ohiovw.com, but you could try posting your problem on there too. Sorry I can't help more.

I would read the codes again and clear them, if you dident clear the codes like wanaplay said then it is probably still in some "limp mode". Autozone will check codes for free, and sometimes they will clear them for you if you tell them you replaced the faulty part and want to see if the light comes back on. But you cant reset the code by unhooking the battery like a Honda/Nissan/Toyota.

And my roomate pointed out that the VR6 has a timing chain not belt, it could have slipped a tooth but its unlikely.

Recheck the codes first and have them cleared