Window Tint ticket questions

Brandon

Today a friend of mine was ticketed for tint, and no front lisence plate, no moving violations. His tint is at 15% right now which is certainly under the legal limit. The tint is same through out the car. Its my understanding that the front windows are the only ones that need to be legal?

His main concern right now, is this...

The freeway patrol officer said that he has to get the tint taken off, or taken to the legal limit, or his car will be impounded if pull over again for tint etc, and he will have to remove the tint from the timpound lot before it can be driven out. He does not want his car impounded so what are his options. Obviously he can take the tint off and replace it with legal tint in the front, albeit that looks terrible IMO. Is there any legal documents that say X person can have X tint, or something along those lines. Anyone with previous issues please chime in! (Police officers would be especially appreciated for there feedback)

Can't have any less than 50% on the rear of passenger cars as well. Trucks & Vans aren't subjected to the same laws passenger cars are on tint for the rear, since alot of vans don't have rear windows, and trucks fall into that as well.

You can have any percentage of tint on the back. Front windows and windshield are the only ones regulated. I've had several cars tinted in the last couple of years at two different shops and thats what they've all told me or have posted in their shops. Call any tint shop and ask. BTW Quality window tint on Morse does a pretty kick ass job.

You can have any percentage of tint on the back. Front windows and windshield are the only ones regulated. I've had several cars tinted in the last couple of years at two different shops and thats what they've all told me or have posted in their shops. Call any tint shop and ask. BTW Quality window tint on Morse does a pretty kick ass job.

I've been pulled over before for having too dark of tint on the rear....cops i've talked to said you'll get a ticket for rear window tint that too dark. I had Zeibart do tint on three vehicles over a span of about 12yrs and they told me it was alright, but it's not.

Could be different now, but this is what i was told when i had mine done.

Also there is a certain amount of tint in the window from the factory so when a cop does a reading a 50% tint will actually show more like 45-46%. So it's actually 3-4% darker.

We're both kind of right. This is what I found from the Ohio Highway Patrol website. As long as you have mirrors any rear tint is legal

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQsequipment.htm

What percent can windows be tinted on the vehicle?

According to Ohio Administrative Code 4501-41-03, on Ohio registered vehicles window tint must allow 50 percent light transmittance on the rear and side windows, and 70 percent transmittance on the windshield. In other words, the tint can not be darker than 50 percent on the side and back, and 30 percent on the windshield.

Light transmittance of 50 percent does not apply on the windows behind the driver if there are outside left and right side mirrors. Remember, auto glass is slightly tinted from the factory and will make the tint you apply to your windows darker than advertised by the tint manufacturer.

We're both kind of right. This is what I found from the Ohio Highway Patrol website. As long as you have mirrors any rear tint is legal

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQsequipment.htm

What percent can windows be tinted on the vehicle?

According to Ohio Administrative Code 4501-41-03, on Ohio registered vehicles window tint must allow 50 percent light transmittance on the rear and side windows, and 70 percent transmittance on the windshield. In other words, the tint can not be darker than 50 percent on the side and back, and 30 percent on the windshield.

Light transmittance of 50 percent does not apply on the windows behind the driver if there are outside left and right side mirrors. Remember, auto glass is slightly tinted from the factory and will make the tint you apply to your windows darker than advertised by the tint manufacturer.

Good find, but it's kinda vague as far as the actual "Rear window" tint. By their "rear window" i believe they are refering to rear quarter windows on 2 doors and the full size side windows behind the front doors on 4 door cars. Those can be darker than 50%. BUT the actual REAR window cannot be darker than 50%......they refer to this window as "REAR".

It would be interesting to ask a Smokey as get his view on it.

I was warned for my tint and front plate about a month ago, if it bring it up to 35% in the front from 14% will that be good enough that they won't notice as much?

Well, of course they won't notice as much. I think going under 20-25% is absolutely pointless and you are just asking for the cops to pull you over. I have 35% on my fronts (25% in the back). Anytime I pull up next to a cop, I make sure to open my sunroof, bringing more light in the cabin so the fronts look legal.

Well, of course they won't notice as much. I think going under 20-25% is absolutely pointless and you are just asking for the cops to pull you over. I have 35% on my fronts (25% in the back). Anytime I pull up next to a cop, I make sure to open my sunroof, bringing more light in the cabin so the fronts look legal.

I guess its just Columbus, but up here I have never gotten pulled over for window tint (around 25% sides and 17% back). I even live 2 miles from a state highway patrol building, so I see 5 of them every day on my way to work. Maybe a black car makes it less noticeable?