SVT Contour - opinions?

excell

I know we have a few people on here well versed with these. :)

What is the general consensus on these cars reliability, performance, and function?

Snow manners?

How is the manual for a person who doesn't normally drive a manual, looking to learn and get better with it?

Can the brakes and suspension be modified?

How is the higher to high mileage reliability?

Thanks. :D

I have always like them. Almost bought one a couple years back but was out of my price range at the time. IIRC only realy issues were the timeimg belt or gear needed replaced at 60k as for upgrades I'm sure there is a market for it just never looked. Also at the time they were released they were call bmw beaters oh true that was i don't know.

Very nice cars. Same platform as the cougar. The Duratecs are extremely reliable. I think common problems are the fuel pump, the alternator, and the the imrc (intake manifold control runner) being fluttery.

Turborust knows more then I. They're beautiful cars, and they're pretty quick off the bat. There is an aftermarket for them if that's what you're going for as well as brakes(Baer big brake kit) but honestly the all wheel disc is more then I have ever needed for this car.

i believe they also have an oiling problem. but there is a different oil pickup tube or something you can use. rl knows alot about it.

Just add a bit more oil as a bit of a safe guard. Most people recommend 6.5 quarts, the manual says 6qts. Sometimes on long left handed turns (I believe left handed) it can starve the engine of oil because of an oil pickup or something of the sort. The 3.0L duratecs have less flaws, it's extremely possible to swap a 3.0 to replace the 2.5.

I can tell you my old 180k miled SHO would fuck one up hard! ;)

I'm not interested in making any more horsepower with the car over stock. Only concerned with how it handles and brakes. :)

I'm not interested in making any more horsepower with the car over stock. Only concerned with how it handles and brakes. :)

Yeah, I said I was gonna leave my wifes GTP alone too. Well, that lasted about 2 weeks ;)