Picture for Tinman

Guest Ponyfreak

Guest Ponyfreak

My brother just bought the first and hardest to find piece of the puzzle. Looks like we will need some advise from you about the engine after all. The adapter is only good for a SBC not an LSx motor. Hope to order the chasis this winter or next spring.

Anyone guess what this goes into?

http://mark8.org/users/ponyfreak/web/43_12.jpg

Guest Ponyfreak

It is for an Ultima GTR. Shearer wins a donut. An ultima is not a factory 5 unit.

G50's are easy to come by if you have a lot of coin. Finding one at a good price with all the adapters, etc for the ultima is tough.

Tinman, I will be shopping for parts after a while so be ready for a lot of questions. Still looking for minimal torque and a high hp revving engine. I need 8500rpm to go 225mph. All the goodies will be on it.

Guest Shearer
Tinman, I will be shopping for parts after a while so be ready for a lot of questions. Still looking for minimal torque and a high hp revving engine. I need 8500rpm to go 225mph. All the goodies will be on it.

I'm jealous, I'd love to put an Ultima together. A low compression SB2(or GM rocket block based) engine with twin 35 or 42r's would fit semi comfortably in that chassis. Depends on how nutty you are feeling. Or stick a 2jz with a gt4788 in it. I think the g50 tranny has enough girth to handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

What are the gear ratios of that tranny? And how tall of a tire can the GTR fit?

An Ultima would be a very fun project indeed. Which G50 did you get? The very first G50's (from the late 80’s) weren’t the most reliable units.

The 5-speed G50/52 is just about as strong as you can get and it has a nice 4-plate LSD from the factory. This is probably what I would use on just about anything making real power.

The G50/20 is not as strong as the G50/52 but it is one of the most common 6-speed G50's found in the US. It is a good box to start with as the early 95 boxes have a separate 2nd gear which makes rebuilds easier. With a 25” tire and stock ratios the G50/20 is good for 181 mph @ 6500 rpm. However 1st gear is too short for just about any car and the input shaft is a bit on the weak side. Forged upgrades and full gear sets with steel synchros are available, although throw in all the goodies with a Guard LSD and you can have $10K in this box in the blink of an eye. :eek:

The G50/30 and G50/31 are some of the best 6-speeds you can find for a track car if you don’t want to have to get inside to re-gear anything. They do have much lower top speed abilities though.

Guest Ponyfreak

Transaxle is actually a 6 speed Getrag unit out of a '03 996 not an older G50/52. They hold togeather at over 500rwhp in a 3400lbs car. With that in mind I think it will fair well behind 6-700hp in a 2200lb car.

1st 3.82

2nd 2.3

3rd 1.52

4th 1.22

5th 1.02

6th 0.84

8500rpm will yield 222mph with the standard 335/30/18"s