insurance for younger driver

evan9381

after july 31 i will no longer be covered under my parents insurance policy, so i need to find my own. currently my car is finanaced and i owe about 8500 on it. over the last 2 years my record is spotless, but june 04 i was involved in an accident (at fault) and oct of 03 i had a speeding ticket. both will be dropped in a year. i called safe auto and the cheapest they are able to insure me for is 219/month and thats the bare minimum.

now the other thing is i am moving out within a couple weeks and i will need to get renters insurance.

any younger drivers have their own policy and can make some suggestions? i figure if i get renters and auto thru one company i may be able to save a little bit. 219/month will kill me...ive been paying 140/month thru my parents plan which i thought was high. if i need to budget for another 80-120$/mo (for better coverage) its going to hurt me a lot

any suggestions?

after july 31 i will no longer be covered under my parents insurance policy, so i need to find my own. currently my car is finanaced and i owe about 8500 on it. over the last 2 years my record is spotless, but june 04 i was involved in an accident (at fault) and oct of 03 i had a speeding ticket. both will be dropped in a year. i called safe auto and the cheapest they are able to insure me for is 219/month and thats the bare minimum.

now the other thing is i am moving out within a couple weeks and i will need to get renters insurance.

any younger drivers have their own policy and can make some suggestions? i figure if i get renters and auto thru one company i may be able to save a little bit. 219/month will kill me...ive been paying 140/month thru my parents plan which i thought was high. if i need to budget for another 80-120$/mo (for better coverage) its going to hurt me a lot

any suggestions?

Unless you have a VERY expensive TV or furniture, i would suggest skipping the renter's insurance. i've been living on my own for about a year and a half now and dont have it and dont really see a need for it yet. Sad when you think about all that you own and the most expensive thing is your 4k$ car. I pay a little under 200 for full coverage on a car i own. 2 speeding ticket's, no at fault accident's. You should note that, in my position if there were a fire at my place right now, i'd be able to recoupe the cost of all that i own and find another place to live within a day or two, so our situation may not be all that similar.

Your best bet would be to get a roomate and split the cost of everything. i have a roomate and my most expensive month to date was 490$ish, and that include's all of our utilities.

also keep in mind, most insurance companies go back 5 years, and not 3... progressive is one of the few that go back only 3... also, if you can pay 6 months at a time, you can get a substantially better price.

hmm...when i called safe auto they only asked about anything in the last 3 years

what do you think the chances of getting on at nationwide for cheap? my parents have multiple auto insurance policies thru them, and i believe home owners insurance as well. i just cant be on it any longer since theres going to be 4 different residences between 6 family members (brother and i at dift places, brother and dad together and mom and sis together)

Unless you have a VERY expensive TV or furniture' date=' i would suggest skipping the renter's insurance. [/quote']

wrong

i saved 10 bucks a month when i added renters on top of my auto, wasn't much, but for more coverage for less money i couldn't say no

wrong

i saved 10 bucks a month when i added renters on top of my auto, wasn't much, but for more coverage for less money i couldn't say no

Really? i will admit i've never even tried to get renter's insurance b/c it just simply wasn't worth it for me at the time. I wonder why they would lower your insurance? maybe b/c your adding more of an asset and not a liability? odd. hell if it actually saves you money i'd go for it.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER skip renter's insurance. It is like $100/year and usually the savings on your insurace is enough that you save a couple bucks and the renter's insurance comes out to be free. You realized renter's insurance cover's more than just your shit. Say someone came over, slipped and fell in your kitchen, broke their neck... you have no renter's insurance, you are fucked..... It is like a general liability insurance

Really? i will admit i've never even tried to get renter's insurance b/c it just simply wasn't worth it for me at the time. I wonder why they would lower your insurance? maybe b/c your adding more of an asset and not a liability? odd. hell if it actually saves you money i'd go for it.

hey i don't have much either, but as said below it covers you for other things to, my coverage is much more then what i own, and all said and done my insurance is 10 bucks cheaper a month, you should probably call your company and see whats up

Nationwide goes back 5 years... I do know that...

as far as renters insurance... you should get it... I've never rented since I was under 21, but I will say that it's deffinately worth it.

state MVR reports show 5 yeasr of history if any, them can only charge your for 35 months for normal violations (speeding tickets and acidents). Major violations like DUIs racing will stay with the full 5 years.

Also just so you know Nationwide will not knownly insure modified cars.

Nationwide, State Farm, and a few others all went back 5 years... how do I know? they told me and they were substantially higher than companies that looked back 3 years (I have 2 speeding and 1 accident about 4 1/2 years back)

Nationwide, State Farm, and a few others all went back 5 years... how do I know? they told me and they were substantially higher than companies that looked back 3 years (I have 2 speeding and 1 accident about 4 1/2 years back)

yes they go back 5 years all companys do all accidents and violations show on MVR/ ALHs for 5 years but they can not charge for 5 unless it is considered a major violation.

here is what Nationwide looks at when it comes to placing some in in a standard company

At-Fault Accidents (AF)(0 - 35 months) No more than 1Prior Nationwide Nonstandard: 0 in past 12 mo - Closed w/o Payment also Ineligible)

Minor Violations (MV)(0 - 35 months) No more than 2

Combination of Accidents& Violations(0 – 35 months) No more than 1 AF and 1 MV(Prior Nationwide Nonstandard: Eligible only if Accidents/Violations are 13-35 mo old)

Major Violations(0 – 60 months) 0

Not-At-Fault Accidents (NAF) (0-35 months) No more than 3 if no MV or AFNo more than 2 if any at fault accidents or minor violations(Prior Nationwide Nonstandard: 0 in past 12 mo - Closed w/o Payment is Eligible)

Driving Experience Any owner or principal operator with less than 3 years driving experience must have a rated parent or spouse in the household with three years driving experience.

Prior Insurance Proof of continuous coverage for at least 6 months required. (Continuous coverage is defined as no lapse in coverage)Nationwide Nonstandard, proof of continuous coverage for at least 12 months required (no lapses)

NSA to Standard Movement Customers w/ BI Limits 50/100 and Above Flex Guidelines: Any Nationwide Nonstandard Policy that meets the following criteria will be eligible for the Mutual or Mutual Fire Companies after 6 months if:1. The policy must have had liability limits of at least 50/100 for the entire 6-month period.2. The policy must be accident and/or violation free for the most recent 12-month period. Exception: We will allow up to 1 comprehensive or unattended collision claim. Towing and labor claims are also not counted under the accident and violation criteria above. 3. The policy must have been continuously inforce with no lapses during the last 6 months.

Comprehensive and Unattended Collision Losses (applies at policy level)*Does not include T&L(0-35 months) No more than 2 per policy (Comprehensive and unattended collision losses will only be considered when the total claim payment is equal to or greater than $400)

NOTES:

· All accident/violation limitations apply on a per driver basis unless otherwise noted as a policy level criterion.

· Drivers within the same household may not be split between Nationwide Nonstandard and Nationwide Mutual/Mutual Fire.

· Prospects who do not qualify may qualify to be written in Nationwide Nonstandard.

· All accidents will be considered At-Fault (AF) unless validation in the form of a police report or letter from the prior carrier validates the accident is Not-At-Fault (NAF).

· Not-at-fault accidents with an uninsured motorist will not be counted as a not-at-fault occurrence.

· Multiple comprehensive losses as a result of a single storm will be considered as one occurrence.

· Customers transferring from Nationwide Nonstandard must show proof of continuous coverage for at least the previous one year (with no claims or lapses in coverage). Note Flex guideline for customers w/ BI limits => 50/100 for exception

· If any driver in the household requires an SR22 filing, the policy will not be eligible for the Nationwide Mutual/Mutual Fire Company.

· If any driver in the household has an unverifiable driving record, the policy will not be eligible for the Nationwide Mutual/Mutual Fire Company.

· This company placement chart will be used in combination with the insurability guidelines for eligibility determination.

and this is for the nonstandard company

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/smskinner/nonstandard.jpg sounds like the agent you were working with didn't know what they were talking about or they weren't too concerned to get your business.

When I came off my parents policy, I stayed with nationwide for a few years. I went in with my dad, and was able to keep his rate by transfering into a new poicy, but staying with the same agent.

If you join the services, then you can use usaa, and thier rates kick ass.

Oh, I just happen to know a recruiter.....

I got dropped from my parents insurance policy back when I was 16. With my one ticket, the premiums sucked everywhere I went. I am finally with Geico believe it or not, and I love their coverage. With the Talon and Civic covered under minimal coverage, I pay $85 bucks a month. There customer service rocks and I am happy with them. Give them a try.

wow...thats cheap...what does your record look like?

also, i thought rates just lowered when you turned 25, but safe auto quoted me like 60-70$/mo LESS if i started the policy when i turn 21 next month over starting it before then

wow...thats cheap...what does your record look like?

also, i thought rates just lowered when you turned 25, but safe auto quoted me like 60-70$/mo LESS if i started the policy when i turn 21 next month over starting it before then

True. Some companies lower rate at both 21 and then again at 25. Safe Auto is one of them.