I bought another Pontiac.

MrMeanGreen

I went out car shopping all day today after spending the last few days scouring the internet for cars. I was originally looking at the Cobalt SS Supercharged, but I'm not too impressed with what's offered for the price.

I was looking for something reliable, good on gas mileage, preferably four doors, nice looking, and with some power. After being in the loop on these for awhile thanks to my brother, I'd narrowed my choices down to a Grand Prix GTP or a Bonneville SSEi (both Supercharged 3800s). The reason for looking? My ex totaled the Blazer last week which was in my name still, so it was paid off and my Firebird V6 was also on the same loan. With the Blazer gone, the total payments would now shoot up to what was paid on both ($108/month to $448/mo). The bank said my option was to refinance the Firebird, or add another vehicle on to it to replace the Blazer and refinance both of them into the loan.

So I pocketed the $900 leftover from the Blazer's positive equity, her insurance is paying me back any sales tax on a vehicle purchased within the next 30 days (again, because the Blazer was in my name solely), and started looking.

I went out at 9am this morning for a few vehicles I'd called about previously, ranging from Ricart to Dan Tobin. Two had already been sold, and a few others were available.

I ultimately ended up buying a 2001 Grand Prix GTP in Bronze Mist Metallic, with every option available that year. Chris met me over there, gave the car a thorough inspection/test drive, and gave me the go-ahead.

Although it does have higher miles (103k), it looks fantastic and runs/drives great. Plus, the 3800 Series II engines run forever. This is not going to be heavily modded (intake and exhaust only), just a daily driver for Jessica and something for her to run the kids around in. It's in amazing shape and I'm actually jealous because it's nicer than my daily driver, Firebird Jr. Faster too.

I ended up doing some serious pissing the salesman off and eventually got them from $10,995 to $7700 out-the-door.

That being said, I'm extremely happy and Jessica is ecstatic as are the kids. I'm going to steal it for personal use whenever possible unless it's Formula weather :D

http://assets.locateapp.ford.com/vimages/FD2193/TP6070B_1.jpg

http://assets.locateapp.ford.com/vimages/FD2193/TP6070B_3.jpg

http://assets.locateapp.ford.com/vimages/FD2193/TP6070B_6.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest No_Speed4_You
Are you sure there is a supercharged bonneville? I thought just the Grand Prix and Impala SS had the blower. Nice car by the way, i like it.

Are you sure there is a supercharged bonneville? I thought just the Grand Prix and Impala SS had the blower. Nice car by the way, i like it.

Yea, the SSEi has been supercharged since 1994.

The 3800 series II supercharged is a great motor, I have one in my 99 regal gs and abslutely love it. It gets great mileage and is pretty fast. Mine just hit 127k and it runs fine absolutley no problems at all, I have heard that the 3800 series II is one of the best all around motors ever, b/c of the mileage and b/c of the reliability of it and yes it does run forever.

Congrats on the buy

Guest No_Speed4_You
Wow, I guess so, just checked on kbb.com. What kind of power do those motors make? So the buick park avenue's had the same engine too huh? That might make a hell of a sleeper...

Guest 614Streets
7,700 is a good move on your part considering what they probaly have in the car which id guess to be 4500 or less. Definately a good move on your part getting the cost down. I just got home from a stip club , wow . Nite

Nice job on talking them down that much. Usually a dealership would tell you to fuck off because someone would have eventually bought it for the $10,000 sticker.

Should have gone on June 31 before close and got it for $5,000. :)

Nice buy.

Should have gone on June 31 before close and got it for $5,000. :)

That would be awesome, if there was, in fact, a June 31. :p

I feel where you're coming from, though - the sales managers get a little desperate to beef up the final numbers at the end of the month and are usually more willing to negotiate just to get the sale.

Anthony, your car looks super fast. Jon Linn said he wants to race it in the DSM heads up.

What kind of power do those motors make? So the buick park avenue's had the same engine too huh? That might make a hell of a sleeper...

mine makes 240 horse and 280 tq, I am pretty sure that all of the supercharged 3800 series II make those same number, yea my parents had a park avenue ultra a while back and it had the same engine. It is definately a sleeper, once I got mine I told my friend that I wanted to race(he has a 04 v6 stang and thinks its the shit) I absolutely crushed him, he looked like he was going to cry because he had just lost to a "grandma car"

Also I am 17 and insurance for almost any car is over $100 a month easily, well the car dealer that sold it to me said that the young people that get this are really suprised because insurance is soooo low. I pay $30 a month for insurance for the 99 buick regal gs and I am 17

That would be awesome, if there was, in fact, a June 31. :p

Obviously, I knew that there isn't really a June 31.

That is why if he would have went on June 31, everyone would be so concerned with why there is an extra day in the month they wouldn't care about losing money on a car sale.

:)