Any tips on pulling a person on Skies or a tube?

Boost-n-Juice

- Typical WOT take-off, but getting the boat on plane isn't a big deal w/ a tuber.

- Slack in the rope is bad. When the boat takes up that slack at speed, it HURTS.

- Know the hand signals. Thumb up for faster, down for slower, slicing at the neck to kill it, and twirling the hand is whipping the tuber around.

- Smaller people = harder to knock off the tube. More throttle, turn harder. 2 tips for knocking someone difficult off:

1 - Get them mostly on one side of the boat outside the wake, go WOT and cut the boat HARD the other direction. This will whip them around pretty hard.

2 - Do several continuous circles until you can build up some good waves, cut it straight, go WOT and you can usually knock them off on the waves.

- Have a good spotter. As a driver, don't spend all your time looking at the tuber. Spend your time watching where you are going, looking out for other boats and objects in the water. The spotter will tell you what to do.

If you are just pulling kids or lame people, all you do is drive straight (though as a kid, I got pissed if people DIDN'T try their hardest to knock me off...and that still rings true today :D ).

** Tip for tall people - Your legs will tend to drag off the back of the tube a lot. If you do a LOT of tubing, do not just let your feet bounce in the water. This eventually = bruises on the top of your feet. Trust me, that sucks.

That's about it. As far as knocking people off, the tube design has a lot to do w/ it as well. My tube is designed for more experienced riders; it's pretty hard to get onto, sits fairly high off the water, isn't huge in diameter, and isn't all that stable. But I'm all for the challenge, so I love it. :D

a skier is pulled at 30 mph and a wakeboard is pulled slower at like 24. when it comes to tubing it all depends on what the person being pulled likes. big circles are fun aloge with alot of waves. you will always be able to find the limits of the person and the tube its a very fine line.

Seems like some good info in here already, but I'll chime in as well.

Twirling your hand by the spotter/driver can also mean "hey we've gotta do a U-turn" or something similar.

When backing a trailer up, steer from the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, big help.

Bigger people = more speed to 'pop' them up on skis/wakeboard. Me/my dad require a WOT for about 5-10 seconds, and during that time we're pretty much under water, but pushing it out of our way, then we pop up and cruise just fine at 30ish.

For wakeboarding it doesn't take much for someone to get up since its a bigger surface, but you still need extra power at the start.

Commonly used words are "HIT IT" from the person in the water to let you know they are ready to go.

Before taking off make sure you have the wheel straight and the rope is tight/no slack.

When turning with people in tow, or in general the boat slows quite a lot depending on the degree of turn, so always add power when turning, esp if people are standing, they'll sink. ;)

have fun man, I've been boating for the last 18 years, awesome shit, check out lake cumberland one summer if you think about it, rent a houseboat with friends, I garuntee its the best damn time ever!

Edit, almost forgot, you might want to just watch your RPM's as they are more accurate than your speedo. I know I tow my dad at 32-3400rpms, which I think is mid 30's, but like I said, I watch the rpm's esp when starting because they tell me where I'm at, and sometimes the speedo thing has to adjust, etc.

After far as I know, my dad's boat has a 350 in it. You might have to play around a few times with it, but after years of doing it, I can pretty much do it by memory and the person's size. aka my lightweight friends that weigh like 115 doesn't need nearly as much tq as my dad's 250lbs needs. I'd rip their arms off and make em do a front flip, lol.

I didn't realize you also asked about skiing. There are some significant differences.

- Have them moving at idle and straight, trimmed down, and once they are ready (hit it, go, middle finger, etc.) go WOT. Keep it at WOT, and once you can start trimming, trim right away.

- With 2 skis, it takes nothing to pull someone out of the water. With slalom (one), you must get going a lot faster, and getting the boat to plane out quickly is important. Nothing pisses me off more than getting half drowned on my slalom because the driver isn't trimming up soon enough...it takes a LOT of energy to hold on when you are getting drowned.

http://cofba.org/users/nitrousbird/Random%20Pics/joeski7-2.jpg

That is me about 1/2 way up, boat just starting to trim. Before that, all that water is going over my head and in my face. Gives you an idea of why the sooner you are up, the better.

- When cornering w/ skiis, take it long and wide. With skiing, you just want to drive straight and easy as much as possible, and let the skiier work the boat. Also, an up/down hand gesture to signify choppy water ahead is very helpful.

^^^What kind of boat do you have? We've got a 98 Malibu Sunsetter. The prop is under the boat, do you have an outboard? I do agree on the drowning in water, that shit sucks if the person doesn't hit it hard enough. You just gotta man up and hold on real tight, I hear gritting your teeth help. ;) We should have a CR boat day this summer, maybe even some races. :evilgrin: LOL. No but seriously, a nice cookout and watersports sounds like a damn good time.

^^^What kind of boat do you have? We've got a 98 Malibu Sunsetter. The prop is under the boat, do you have an outboard? I do agree on the drowning in water, that shit sucks if the person doesn't hit it hard enough. You just gotta man up and hold on real tight, I hear gritting your teeth help. ;) We should have a CR boat day this summer, maybe even some races. :evilgrin: LOL. No but seriously, a nice cookout and watersports sounds like a damn good time.

He has a 17' Sea Ray that is a I/O.

Good info, thanks! When you say watch the tach, is it standard for all boats to go the same MPH at the same RPM?

Nope. Depends on gear ratio, prop pitch and slippage. Example- You run 40mph at 4400 RPM. Our old 25 Eliminator cat would run just shy of 120 at the same rpm.

That boat is going to be hard to teach someone to ski on. Slalom will be very hard, unless someone has a lot of experience.

Wakeboarding at 24 would be pretty ballsy. Everyone I know, a few pro's included all like the speed around 19.

Most important thing for towing anything is no slack when starting, like already stated.