Help mercury question

wnaplay1647545503

I know this belongs in the tech setion but I am desperate. And the tech section doesnt get as many views. I am going on vacation tomorrow, and today our 97 mountaineer started acting up. I tracked it down to a rubber cap that had fallen off of a vacuum line. My question is this normal (due to age), or is this a potential problem? I will get a new rubber cap tomorrow just in case it is just breaking down due to heat or something. But why would this cap just come off? Also when it first happened, there was alot of smoke from under the hood. But was gone by the time I got the hood open. Also the 02 sensor was just replaced if that means anything. Thanks for any help.

Guest Removed

new rubber! really, those rubber things dryrott and pop off all the time! the hose for the pcv valve will end up doing it too.

unless they knocked it off when they was plugging the O2 back in(it plugs in at the back of the motor, but i normally do it from the bottom!

think about it, underhood heat takes it toll out on rubber parts.

why else do you think your suppose the change your belts and hoses every 4 years!