Shipping an engine.

Buck531

Anyone ever shipped an engine? Any shop here that could handle this for me? There's a guy in New mexico who wants to buy my old short block. I know I can't just drop it off at the UPS store (heh) so what needs to happen?

Also.. any idea what I'm looking at for shipping?

Guest Removed
350 to 500 on shiping...start with a pallet, then i use peices of 2x4 to prop it up, then bolt it down too the pallet one way or another.and then build your crate around it!

You need to strap it to pallet or put it in a crate. Then you need to call a freight company like Roadway, Yellow, FedEx Freight, etc and they can come pick it up. If you are shipping residential to residential look for around $200-$250 for the block. Thank GM for the iron block. ;)

Put a stamp on it and stuff it in your mailbox.

Make sure you go to the post office and put in on the scale to make sure you have the correct amount of postage.

I know this won't work since the engine is much bigger, but when I had a 2.4L turbo shipped to me from Mexico, they put it in a big plastic Rubbermaid tub. Drilled wholes through the lid and lip and put zip ties to hold the lid on and shipped it UPS.

Guest crx34
I have shipped my Honda B16A short block to florida from chicago for 150 bucks, through FedEx. Didn't have a problem. I would think yours will cost a little bit more. I didn't use a pallet either but with your block it would be a good idea and pack it well to protect it.