Pulling data from a DVR?

MrMeanGreen

I just play them back and record them on my DVD recorder just like it is a VCR. If your talking about a directv DVR mine has an option for "save to VCR." I don't usually use that option because so far I've only used the DVD recorder to save star trek episodes, but I have used it to put a movie on a single DVD.

Evan

You can't Anthony.

The USB port on your DVR is for diagnostics, it's not designed for data transfer.

There are 2 Firewire ports, but they are inactive (firmware isn't loaded in for them...trust me, I've tried). I haven't tried lately; it's possible firmware updates have been made, but I haven't heard of anything at work about it.

Now the hard drive encryption is turned off, so you could physically remove the hard drive (they are just Maxtor units), and might be able to pull data that way. F' it up, though, and that's an expensive box to get billed for. That, and it takes a special tool to remove the cover.

The USB ports on my DVR are disabled also. I don't know enough about linux to attempt enabling them, but I know it can be done for a network connection. There are alot of home entertainment forums around the internet that have instructions to do alot of neat things with that box. Yeah removing the hard drive shouldn't be a problem and connection to a pc shouldn't either. you'd just need to be able to read the contents and copy the files and since its in linux you'd need what ever the linux guys use to do that stuff so it can't be to difficult, but like I said I don't know shit about linux.

Evan

Get a Tivo and download it from your TIVO to your hard drive on your comp with no problems. My bro in law has a 60 gig TIVO that downloads to 500 gigs of computer harddrive on his server