Formula is back and running again, thanks CR!

MrMeanGreen

Well, most of you know I blew something up a few weeks back roll racing (yes, I do this occasionally) on the way back from the bling-bling car show at Roby where I picked a trophy up. Turned out to be a lifted passenger side head.

I pulled the car apart over two days after getting home from work.

Total time removing top end, associated wiring, and cooling system (figured I may as well upgrade the radiator): 6.5 hours

Friday evening I had some help reassembling everything and using the upgraded parts/installation materials. This consisted of new 5.7L GM MLS head gaskets, Permatex copper sealer spray, GM GMS (silicone assembly lube), some real nice Snap-On torque wrenches, etc. I finished the final installation last night of the exhaust, intake/TB/MAF parts, etc. and fired the car up after an issue with a starter lead coming loose (thanks Sam for pointing me in the right direction).

Total time for re-assembly: 8 hours

Officially, the car runs like ass due to the new 85m Z06 MAF that has replaced the speed density but will be tuned for it. It sounds like it has a .650 lift cam in it and runs so rich it makes a grown man cry while standing behind it in the driveway while it idles in the garage. But, this should resolve the "1998s don't like boost and MAFs" problem.

Thanks to the following:

Paul (98fiveseven) for again coming out numerous times from Marysville to assist with tearing things apart and putting them back together. He's also letting me borrow his SLP MAF (85mm like mine, but calibrated for the F-Body) until I can have my Z06 tuned in.

John (RUTAN TA) for staying until 3am last Saturday with the final assembly of the top end, donating me his unused MLS gaskets, GMS, tools, and superior knowledge of the LS1. He even knew the friggin torque specs and torque sequence of the heads by memory.

Sam (Sam) for helping with head/block prep, reassembly, and several instances of answering my questions when I was clueless. Mr. Pimp even put off some racing and bar-hopping to stay and help a bit longer.

Jon (Linn) for comic relief and general entertainment. He kept everyone present emotionally high with his infinite drama of street racing and traffic violation antics.

IPS Motorsports (Greg and Jeff) for supplying me with special order chromoly washers that I'd lost at the last minute that even Jegs didn't have. See the Consumer Reports section for specific details.

I have to get back under the car to finish repairing the starter connection, then finish bleeding the cooling system. But the car s ready to go and should be off to Indy next week for the final tuning. Again, thanks to everyone who's supported me and my PITA hobby :D

I have never seen the car in person :(

Unfortunately, you probably won't for at least another month. I have six 10s at work this week (including the weekend), five 10s next week (weekend included) not to mention the car should be going to Indy then. The week after I'm off to CT for training for two weeks, then that weekend I get back I have a family golf tournament, then another six 10s the following week (including the weekend).

We're looking somewhere around late August, but then the Pontiac Nationals are that weekend and I'm going up for that.

Maybe September for a CR outing and the Formula attending? We'll see about sneaking it out before then.

Unfortunately, you probably won't for at least another month. I have six 10s at work this week (including the weekend), five 10s next week (weekend included) not to mention the car should be going to Indy then. The week after I'm off to CT for training for two weeks, then that weekend I get back I have a family golf tournament, then another six 10s the following week (including the weekend).

We're looking somewhere around late August, but then the Pontiac Nationals are that weekend and I'm going up for that.

Maybe September for a CR outing and the Formula attending? We'll see about sneaking it out before then.

Sheesh, I would be happy with just seeing the tail lights pulling away from me very quickly. :cool:

flying brake clean cans?! LOL

Yea especially Monday when gas prices jumped like a mother, I was there :o

PM me or get at me on AIM for when you are going to be around to pick up the maf or for me to deliver it. I am going to Clevland Friday to hang with a friend before TITN! So We should deff figure something out.