This is the first and LAST time boating on Buckeye Lake

Nitrousbird

I had never been on Buckeye Lake before. Went on the 4th of July weekend, buddy had a friend's dock which wasn't being used at the time, so I tied up there. Went back out today, pulled the boat out, and look what I found:

http://cofba.org/users/nitrousbird/Boat/DSC03241.JPG

Just for reference, that prop was in BRAND NEW condition when we put the boat in. I'm talking there wasn't even a scratch on the thing. I know I nicked the edges last Sunday, but it was BARELY nicked. Though we didn't hit anything we noticed, must have happened when we were just doing circles in the middle of the lake, or when I was slalom skiing, as it was shallow in a couple spots we took off from. But I'll take a destroyed prop over a f'ed up outdrive any day.

I'll stick with Alum from now on. The main boat launch ramp we used is beat to hell, the whole lake is way too shallow (I can't imagine being brave enough to take a fast/heavy boat out there), the water is too choppy, and is very dirty; I have a nice coating in green crud stuck to the boat now. :(

I tell people keep the drive at trim limit whenever you are in a no wake zone or going on or off of the trailer, and you will never destroy a prop. I had a 42 Fountain out on buckeye for the little poker run last year, didn't tear anything up.

For the green crud, go buy some Slimy Grimey. Not sure who all has it on the east side, but spray it on, let it sit 5 min and hose it off. Greatest scum remover in the world.

Give me the numbers on the prop, looking for something like 14x17. Should be on the side, between the bades, or in the hub itself. If I have one that will work, you can have it free.

i was out at alum creek today... got pulled over by boat patrol. my 1 registration tag on ech ski fell of in the water.. and i got ticketed.. fucking boat patrol can kiss my ass.

Which officer?

And, as bad as that prop is, I have seen a lot worse, will post a pic tomorrow...

Give me the numbers on the prop, looking for something like 14x17. Should be on the side, between the bades, or in the hub itself. If I have one that will work, you can have it free.

14.5 x 17

Though I wouldn't mind about 200RPM more at top end, so a 14 x 17 might work better than my 14.5. If you have one, I'd really appreciate it, as my starter solenoid also decided to take a shit on me too and I need to get a replacement (one of the very few things on that motor that isn't new or been rebuilt), and my bank account hasn't been pleased with me recently. Luckily I've found a few starters online new for $95 shipped. Having to start the boat using vice grips to arc the terminals is no fun.

Sadly, I don't think that happened in a no-wake zone. :(

14.5 x 17

Though I wouldn't mind about 200RPM more at top end, so a 14 x 17 might work better than my 14.5. If you have one, I'd really appreciate it, as my starter solenoid also decided to take a shit on me too and I need to get a replacement (one of the very few things on that motor that isn't new or been rebuilt), and my bank account hasn't been pleased with me recently. Luckily I've found a few starters online new for $95 shipped. Having to start the boat using vice grips to arc the terminals is no fun.

Sadly, I don't think that happened in a no-wake zone. :(

What RPM does it pull?

From what I remember, the solenoid itself is stupidly expensive, something like $55, new starter is the route to go.

What RPM does it pull?

From what I remember, the solenoid itself is stupidly expensive, something like $55, new starter is the route to go.

Right now it will pull to about 4500RPM on flat water w/ a couple people in the boat and trimmed as much as possible. Depending on what you read, they say max operating RPM is 4600-4800. It's a brand new 2004 3.0L crate motor (it sat in a wharehouse for a while). But top speed isn't overly important thing for me, more down-low power is. It isn't bad down low (pulls my 210lb ass out on slalom w/ 500lbs worth of passengers and a full tank of gas without killing me).

I agree a new starter is the best route; I'd end up putting a new solenoid in and the starter would go out a week later. :rolleyes:

Tripple, Indian is a lot worse, IMO. Way too many stumps. Buckeye isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Joe, checked today, don't have any that small, they are both 19 and 21 pitch.

But, I do have a 14x17 stainless that I let a customer borrow, I am almost positive that it will be too small for him. If it is, I will let you know.

Now, here is a real run aground break.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/Hyperbaja/DSCN0499.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/Hyperbaja/DSCN0500.jpg

Lower unit was completley destroyed on impact, the loss of the prop and prop shaft caused the engine to free rev over 6500 (max is about 4800), completley destroyed the drive and engine. This is what happens when you use your drive as a depth finder.

There are places that you can walk across Buckeye Lake if you are over 6 foot tall and keep your head above water. And I mean from Buckeye Lake side to the Millersport side. I am supprized that you were not hearing (or feeling ) that much impact on the prop, but like you said, better the prop than the lower end.

Are you running a long of a short lower end on that. I know guys that have reasonable luck running on Buckeye, but they are ALL running a short lower end and a skeg plate (think that's what they called it) that sits below the prop and keeps the prop off the bottom. But I havev been with the one guy on an occasion that we had to get out of the boat and lift the motor up because it bottomed and would not move at all.

Guest wesxprs

Just another reason to know your surroundings.

Get a map and do some research on the lake you are going to next time so you don't tear the shit out of your boat.

Buckeye shithole has always been shallow, used to go there every weekend when I was a kid, back when it was kinda clean.

There are places that you can walk across Buckeye Lake if you are over 6 foot tall and keep your head above water. And I mean from Buckeye Lake side to the Millersport side. I am supprized that you were not hearing (or feeling ) that much impact on the prop, but like you said, better the prop than the lower end.

Are you running a long of a short lower end on that. I know guys that have reasonable luck running on Buckeye, but they are ALL running a short lower end and a skeg plate (think that's what they called it) that sits below the prop and keeps the prop off the bottom. But I havev been with the one guy on an occasion that we had to get out of the boat and lift the motor up because it bottomed and would not move at all.

The skeg guard is great if you are going to sell the boat. I wouldn't have one on mine, makes the ass end feel heavy and slippery, and you lose 2mph.

For the green crud, go buy some Slimy Grimey. Not sure who all has it on the east side, but spray it on, let it sit 5 min and hose it off. Greatest scum remover in the world.

Slimy Grimy rocks. Delta Marine had a bottle. $13, but after using it, man is that stuff worth it. I really did just spray on, spray off, and if anything was left, it just wiped off with one swipe of a towel. I am very impressed to say the least. I can't imagine what work I would have had to do trying to scrub that stuff off the boat.

I've gotten my prop situation sort-of sorted out. I guess I had two props sitting in my crawl space, a 14.5x17 (same as the one I destroyed), and a 14x19. The 17 has some nicks on it, and one blade is a little chewed, the 19 is in pretty good shape. I decided to throw the 19 on there until I get this 17 repaired. Hopefully the boat will still perform alright w/ the 19; I'll see this Sunday.

As for the starter, $208 + tax, the solenoid was $55 w/ tax. I've been spending a LOT of $$ recently, so I went the "cheap" route.

My Aunt has a house on lakeshore dr. and I grew up in pickerington where just about every middle class person has a lake house out there. We ripped the prop off my grandpas boat more time than I can remember. Eventually just got a couple Seado and shallow was never a problem again. I eventually found out that the walls to the canal still run North to south twards the millersport end of lake and was loosing them on the wall. Besides every one knows the best place to boat in Ohio is Grand lake St. Mary's

Slimy Grimy rocks. Delta Marine had a bottle. $13, but after using it, man is that stuff worth it. I really did just spray on, spray off, and if anything was left, it just wiped off with one swipe of a towel. I am very impressed to say the least. I can't imagine what work I would have had to do trying to scrub that stuff off the boat.

I've gotten my prop situation sort-of sorted out. I guess I had two props sitting in my crawl space, a 14.5x17 (same as the one I destroyed), and a 14x19. The 17 has some nicks on it, and one blade is a little chewed, the 19 is in pretty good shape. I decided to throw the 19 on there until I get this 17 repaired. Hopefully the boat will still perform alright w/ the 19; I'll see this Sunday.

As for the starter, $208 + tax, the solenoid was $55 w/ tax. I've been spending a LOT of $$ recently, so I went the "cheap" route.

At least they arent hard to get to on those. Shouldnt take that long to do.