03 Cobra or blower guys get in here. What's the deal with all the big a$$ blowers....

lcz06

I been reading all around the fourms about all the huge ass blowers that Whipple/Kennebell have been coming out with and I can't really understand the need for a 2.6 or 2.8 and the crazy big a$$ Whipple 3.3 blower!!! That just seems crazy and what is the need/functionality of a blower of such a size?

Here is some more info and a pic of the KB 2.6..Discuss

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/kenne-bell-2-6l-supercharger-56449.html?highlight=kb+2.6

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302340&highlight=2.6

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/124/kb2611qu.jpg

Guest powers
Not having to spin the rotors as fast for the given amount of boost is easier on parts as well.

DING DING DING.

That is the whole thing. The slower the rotors spin the better. Reduced charge temps are a major concern on that car.

If you have to ask why then you will never understand.....

I know the logistics of having a bigger blower and I would think the engine would have a harder time turning a 2.8 or 3.3 blowers because of its shear size. Even then you would have to spin them all to hell on the 3.3 just to see any results. I guess there to new to speculate but I wanted to see what everyone thought. Who knows I might end up one day up-grading if the bigger blowers prove themselves like the 2.2,2.3,2.4 kits have..

Are you thinking turbos?

Down the road possibly, yes, but I’m very continent with what I have going right now and the power that I’ll be able to make. Yes, turbos would be awesome but not so on my wallet. Yeah I can sell a bunch of shit and is what some people do but it really comes down to how much power I want and how much I’m willing to spend. I plan on running a new short block eventually as the stock one won't take the amount of power that I want to throw at it and also the stock fuel system (what I’m getting taken care of right now). I’ll have enough fuel for days and won’t be a problem anymore. Basically I plan to throw as much power at a new block as possible and put that old camaro to rest when it's up and running ;) .

i know the one guy that had the complaint letter is doing land speed runs. there was a pic in the engine pics section on svtperformance that had i think a freakign 3.3 on a cobra that was a prototype. you could actually see in pictures how huge it was. i liek blowers that stick through the hood....its old school cool.

i know the one guy that had the complaint letter is doing land speed runs. there was a pic in the engine pics section on svtperformance that had i think a freakign 3.3 on a cobra that was a prototype. you could actually see in pictures how huge it was. i liek blowers that stick through the hood....its old school cool.

I do also and could have some heat extraction functions if the blower was sticking out of the hood. Not to long ago I saw a red corvette that looks like it has a roots style polished supercharger sticking out of the hood that is just sick imop. I think I saw it around the Grandview area where my girl lives. Should have taken some pics...

I do also and could have some heat extraction functions if the blower was sticking out of the hood. Not to long ago I saw a red corvette that looks like it has a roots style polished supercharger sticking out of the hood that is just sick imop. I think I saw it around the Grandview area where my girl lives. Should have taken some pics...

was it like an 80's model? i want to say a c3/c4...if so, ive seen it pulling into the easton commons (across from cheesecake factory) when i was delivering pizza up there

there is a c5 with a mangnacharger(eaton) that was parked outside the fsae osu facility. it was red, just had a hole cut in the hood. completely awesome. if you dont know where that place is, it is on kinear and almost kenny rd. pretty close to grandview, but considered u.a. i dont know if it was maybe a sponsor's car, or maybe an instructor...

I asked my question because of your comment, "you would have to spin them all to hell on the 3.3 just to see any results."

You are describing a turbo, not a large roots-style blower.

Not talking about turbos but a 3.3 Twin Screw Whipple blower..

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/2-6-3-3-blowers-56193.html?highlight=3.3+whipple

Prob takes some 150-200rwhp just to turn the thing. It's really not worth it imop but I guess bigger is better now days. But not to long ago a 2.4 Kb was the biggest hottest shit. I think kb&whipple are trying in a way to compete with all the turbo cobras that are around..

I have been reading/talking with owners a little about 03/04s to try and find the cars weak spots. If someone was looking into buying one what would be something to look/listen for. I see an high number of For Sale threads talking about "ticking". Is there a real issue with these SCed4.6s or not? Is it just a lack of tuning that leads to the engines dimise (ticking)? Thanks for the help people on this little side note.

Yeah, the ticking, from my experience, was real amongst the 03/04 Cobras. Not sure of the culprit, but I don't think it was solely from tuning, since some of the 03/04 Cobras supposedly "ticked" from the factory (i.e., in stock form). (I imagine that could still be a "tuning" issue - i.e., the tune from the factory is whack - but I was interpreting your use of "tuning" in its more common usage here - i.e., an aftermarket tune.)

There's also been issue with the 03/04 Cobra's and weakness in or around the pistons - in particular the #6 or #7, if I am remembering correctly. Specifically, a lot of the guys running aftermarket S/Cer's - the KB's and Whipple's - were creating too much heat for the pistons and frying them.

Additionally, some guys experienced some problems with the half-shafts. Specifically, they were shattering them with hard launches. My impression is that a must for anyone intending on launching an 03/04 Cobra with any force needs to beef up the rear end - they just generate way too much torque, even box stock, for the rear to take.