03 Cobra or blower guys get in here. What's the deal with all the big a$$ blowers....

lcz06

Down the road possibly, yes, but I’m very continent with what I have going right now and the power that I’ll be able to make. Yes, turbos would be awesome but not so on my wallet. Yeah I can sell a bunch of shit and is what some people do but it really comes down to how much power I want and how much I’m willing to spend. I plan on running a new short block eventually as the stock one won't take the amount of power that I want to throw at it and also the stock fuel system (what I’m getting taken care of right now). I’ll have enough fuel for days and won’t be a problem anymore. Basically I plan to throw as much power at a new block as possible and put that old camaro to rest when it's up and running ;) .

HAHA, keep dreaming.

yea the earlier produced cobras had ticking problems but just about all of them have a stall problem. When you put it into neutral and coast to a red light or something, your car will just turn off. Its pretty scary when there are cars infront of you, i know from experience.

Yeah, the ticking, from my experience, was real amongst the 03/04 Cobras. Not sure of the culprit, but I don't think it was solely from tuning, since some of the 03/04 Cobras supposedly "ticked" from the factory (i.e., in stock form). (I imagine that could still be a "tuning" issue - i.e., the tune from the factory is whack - but I was interpreting your use of "tuning" in its more common usage here - i.e., an aftermarket tune.)

The Mach1 shares the same heads, so I've read about the issue as well. The prevailing theory is that the cooling design is flawed, allowing some cylinders to overheat and do nasty things to the valve guides. I've heard it in person once (on a Cobra), and the sound makes me want to cry :( Luckily, there are preventative measures available.

As for what to look (listen) for... well, just don't freak out and get too anal about it. The valvetrain and injectors are a little noisier than some people are used to. If it really does have "the tick", it will probably be more of an "oh my god, what is that nasty sound" kind of effect. There are videos floating around somewhere if you've never heard it.

Yeah, the ticking, from my experience, was real amongst the 03/04 Cobras. Not sure of the culprit, but I don't think it was solely from tuning, since some of the 03/04 Cobras supposedly "ticked" from the factory (i.e., in stock form). (I imagine that could still be a "tuning" issue - i.e., the tune from the factory is whack - but I was interpreting your use of "tuning" in its more common usage here - i.e., an aftermarket tune.)

There's also been issue with the 03/04 Cobra's and weakness in or around the pistons - in particular the #6 or #7, if I am remembering correctly. Specifically, a lot of the guys running aftermarket S/Cer's - the KB's and Whipple's - were creating too much heat for the pistons and frying them.

Additionally, some guys experienced some problems with the half-shafts. Specifically, they were shattering them with hard launches. My impression is that a must for anyone intending on launching an 03/04 Cobra with any force needs to beef up the rear end - they just generate way too much torque, even box stock, for the rear to take.

Tilley is on the right track and its issues with the stock heads on the car. They were redesigned 3to4 times just to get them right and here about a year ago they released the final "fix the tick" heads the seem to be working on all the cobras that switch. There are lots of things you can do to help though with the old heads and I think most of the failed 7-8 pistons are due to over-heating because of fords design flaw. Hell they only put one coolant tube to share for both heads. But don't believe all the internet hype and let it scare you away from buying an 03/04 cobra as this is still a minor issue and to-date there hasn’t been any reported loss of power because of it just noisy as hell.

HAHA, keep dreaming.

Was waiting for you to chime in. Mine should be ready by friday and heading down to the dyno that same day. Will see though, get that car running....

Tilley is on the right track and its issues with the stock heads on the car. They were redesigned 3to4 times just to get them right and here about a year ago they released the final "fix the tick" heads the seem to be working on all the cobras that switch. There are lots of things you can do to help though with the old heads and I think most of the failed 7-8 pistons are due to over-heating because of fords design flaw. Hell they only put one coolant tube to share for both heads. But don't believe all the internet hype and let it scare you away from buying an 03/04 cobra as this is still a minor issue and to-date there hasn’t been any reported loss of power because of it just noisy as hell.

Was waiting for you to chime in. Mine should be ready by friday and heading down to the dyno that same day. Will see though, get that car running....

ill be ready for you this weekend

yea the earlier produced cobras had ticking problems but just about all of them have a stall problem. When you put it into neutral and coast to a red light or something, your car will just turn off. Its pretty scary when there are cars infront of you, i know from experience.

It gets really freaky when you're taking a turn really slowly braking in neutral and the car shuts off...not that I would know anything about that ;)

Speaking of the tick, if anyone wants to hear it just come stand by my drivers side. I have a month of warranty left, I may want to get that head replaced.