Any of you ever had to put a dog down?

Browning

I already know she has thyroid problems, has had her hip dislocated, she's half deaf, etc. I know her time is about up anyhow. Taking her to a vet is a huge deal. She has to be carried the whole time or she flips out. She shakes like crazy and whines. But anyhow, she has an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

And oh yea, smokin5s, thats a pretty retarded comparison. Its not like I'm thrilled about possibly having to put her down. It would be hard to. But, $200 for having the vet do it, or me doing it myself for super cheap and knowing she died peacefully and unaware, as opposed to the panic mode she'd be in up at the vets. I think if it needs to be done, I'm going to do it myself.

They have med's for the joint problems. Try changing the diet, to maybe a meat based. I've heard stories where this can really help an older/sick dog. As long she is eating and can control her bale movements then I wouldn't give up on her yet.

She eats about 1/3 of what she does usually. But that could be the heat. She can relieve herself just fine. And yea, she is on some joint therapy medicine now, has been for awhile.

This is her. She's not full blooded either, just in case somebody says something. Shitty pic.

http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/goldie06.JPG

Guest Ponyfreak

There was no jokes in my posts. I think a bullet is a lot easier for the animal as well as owner.

I seriously 100% disagree with Smokin. I think most people wait TOO LONG to put their animal down. I have seen some animals really suffer just because their owner cannot let them go.

I would do as Ponyfreak said. We have had multiple dogs that were all over 8 years old and one did a back flip and crack her neck, the other was 12 at the time and he (golden/lab mix) started not eating and was getting frail. Ended up having a strange disease.

The Vet who is a good friend of the family said to take it out back and that way you get to keep the body. I guess at the time (98') they werent allowed to give the remains back for some odd reason. The final was a full bread doberman that kicked ass. He attacked my brother coming through the front door in the middle of the night after coming home from Iraq on leave. So he killed my dog. The dog was protecting us but it fucked my brother up BAD.

All in all I would lean towards taking care of the dog yourself. But the needle is the civil way to go about doing so.

I had to put mine down about three months ago becuase she was mean and I have kids. My heart goes out to you, it is like losing a family member. My Vet charged $95 and they had her cremated.

Vet says its the heat. Just to keep a close eye on here, and if she gets any worse just bring her up there, no appointment. She seems better, but I guess only time will tell.

I'm glad to hear your dog is okay. A few years back, I had to put my cat down. She was 21 years old; my dad brought her home when I was just a year old. It was very difficult for me, she was part of our family. My dad knew she was sick, but was just too attached to have it done. I came over to visit my parents, and she was skinny and sickly, hadn't eaten in days, slobbering on herself, etc. She had been having seizures for the last year or so, the vet said she had a brain tumor that would eventually cause this to happen. At the time, she said the cat was touch and go, that she could die during a seizure if left untreated; but due to her age, they wouldn't operate on her. I took her to an emergency vet clinic and had her put to sleep. Probably the most gut wrenching thing I've ever done.

Vet says its the heat. Just to keep a close eye on here, and if she gets any worse just bring her up there, no appointment. She seems better, but I guess only time will tell.

Yay!! Glad she's feeling al ittle better..

As for the vet fiasco, i totally understand.

I have one dog who just makes awful high pitched whining noises, once we get there (she seems happy though, so i dont understand) and the other who is so afraid of the vet, that any time she gets in the car she starts puking, drooling and shitting (sometimes only one or the other, sometimes all three). Pets just know where the scary place is..

drives me nuts.. :(

I'm glad to hear that it was only induced by the heat & nothing is seriously wrong with her! Have you thought of giving her an all over buzz cut? Take her to a groomer or do it yourself if she'd let you.

Seriously...it might give her some respite from the heat.

so if you get old and sick would you want me to just shoot you instead of put you in a hosiptal where you can get the care that you need?

Close. I'd rather not be in a hospital, and I'd damn sure not have some one else kill me. Wheel me out somewhere wild, have the family come with,a nd let my hubris do me in. Or just chuck me out of a C-130 over the Yukon, I want to be eaten by something big, not worms.

BTW, I agree with above. Its way too hot to have an old mamal with that much hair, shave her, bathe her. She'll love it.

the shots used to put down animals are actualy better then the criminal justice system gives out prisoners. But, who knows how it is, no one is around to interview. As dcrual and messy as it might be, you cannot beat a total and instantaneous distruction of grey matter for a quick and painless death. It's increadibly hard to do for pet owners for a couple reasons:

*Its crude

*Its loud

*Its messy

*You have to watch it

*The subject will twitch afterwards.

All this ads up to a very traumatic experience for the average pet owner. Injection is more for you then your pet.

Close. I'd rather not be in a hospital, and I'd damn sure not have some one else kill me. Wheel me out somewhere wild, have the family come with,a nd let my hubris do me in. Or just chuck me out of a C-130 over the Yukon, I want to be eaten by something big, not worms.

BTW, I agree with above. Its way too hot to have an old mamal with that much hair, shave her, bathe her. She'll love it.

the shots used to put down animals are actualy better then the criminal justice system gives out prisoners. But, who knows how it is, no one is around to interview. As dcrual and messy as it might be, you cannot beat a total and instantaneous distruction of grey matter for a quick and painless death. It's increadibly hard to do for pet owners for a couple reasons:

*Its crude

*Its loud

*Its messy

*You have to watch it

*The subject will twitch afterwards.

All this ads up to a very traumatic experience for the average pet owner. Injection is more for you then your pet.

Actually it is NOT recomended by vets and other animal proffessionals to shave the dog to help them keep cool.. I however have a differnt view.. My dogs always seemed happiest when just their bellys are shaved (like they dowhen they spay a dog) They lay thier bellys on the cool tile or concrete

But if you do decided to shave the dog, make sure that you have spf45 on the dog.. as they can sunburn just like us.

Generally you shouldn't shave the animal because the coat helps keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Shaving them can often cause them to overheat.

I'm glad to hear it is just the heat. Make sure there's plenty of water around if she needs it, and try to keep her in a cool dry area.