switching odometers

evan9381

is there a legal way to do this? i blew my motor (original, 72k miles on it) but i am getting a new motor next week with 26k miles. is there any legal way i can swap in the gauge cluster showing the 26k miles from the vehicle it came out of? im sure i couldnt just take it up and show them something at the BMV, but if i have documentation showing the engine has the same miles as the odometer, say have a shop install it, can i put it in?

i would rather do this, instead of having to try to keep records of the motor swap

anyone?

I don't think you can do that when replacing the engine. I know people do it when they put a new cluster in there car. And with the elantra, I don't think there is a way to even change the obometer with out taking it to a dealership since they are all digital and ran by the computer. Might want to check the XD board on that.

im about 90% sure in the xd's its saved in the cluster...i posted here since 99% of the people are from ohio and know the law for the most part.

i start a thread on EXD and ill get laws from every state in the country, explanation why i should/shouldnt, then an off topic post which will snowball. lol

sometimes you just gotta come over here

You all need to learn about something before posting.

It is NOT illegal to put a lower mileage odometer in a car. It is your car, no one can stop you from doing what you want to it.

But, it is illegal to swap clusters, and then sell the car and state that the mileage is correct. There is your big fines (10k for the first time, I know someone who got caught, jail the second time). If you do sell the car, check the "mileage unknown" box on the back of your title, and you are in the clear.

Now, if you find someone who is changing digital clusters, please let me know.