good site for crate engines?

Slimpsy1647545505

I picked up a 84 z28 shell, really nice condition with a nice rebuilt 700r4 tranny. I was looking into investing in a 350 rebuilt crate engine but am a little skeptical to order one online...and have considered the junk yard an option, but really want to do this project right. Do any of you have any experience with ordering an engine online..is there a local shop that can do orders for less? More specifically I'd like to get a 5.7 350 engine...and I havn't had much luck finding a local place..so crate seems to be the way to go.

"EDIT: will the 700r4 tranny hold up to a high performance 350?"

Thanks in advance for any advice/help :) Also...once I get this project going I'll fill up a cooler with some beer and anyone willing to help is welcome :-D

I picked up a 84 z28 shell, really nice condition with a nice rebuilt 700r4 tranny.

"EDIT: will the 700r4 tranny hold up to a high performance 350?"

If you beef it up, it can probably hold 400 RWHP without any problems. Anything more than that and the 700R4 won't last very long. A lot of the 3rd gen guys use the TH350 with their built up motors, but these cars aren't daily driven because fuel economy will suffer significantly. You might need to look into getting a new rear too, because a stock 10 bolt probably won't last very long with 400+ hp.

another vote to jegs. if that tranny was just rebuilt your probably looking for you rear to go first and the tranny wont be far behind unless it is built for a bit more power. but if you really want to go "big" i know someone who puts together 425 horse motors for a little cheaper than some crate engines with all brand new parts.