running tips...general exercise?

i know that working out has turned into a common cr topic. Does anyone have any running tips? i am not look for long distance, just a mile or two. right now i fell great physically but i am out of shape. after about 3/4 of a mile i am completly winded and struggling for breath. help?

thanks in advance,

tom

Just do it! It will get better. Give it two weeks and you will feel great. Your aerobic capability will improve quickly. The main thing is to motivate yourself to put on the running shoes and get out there and do the work.

If it were easy everyone would do it.

Run Relaxed dont tense up in any part of you body.

keep your fist open thats will help relax your arms and shoulders.

Run up right, keep you back stright up and down it will allow for better air flow dont lean forward unless you in a dead sprint.

Bring you knees straight up this will also help keep your back straight, and breath in your nose out your mouth.

Guest GMoney
third one for breath in through your nose and out your mouth. It will make you keep tabs on your breathing just enough and it will also make you take deep, slow, and long breaths.

Exactly what large RX7 said. Pacing your self and trying to control your breathing can be the two hardest things that can lead to (relatively) drastically increased distances.

I was having a hard time spring of last year when i started running again because i'd burn myself out early. Mark out some distances if you can and get a good pace for yourself and try to force yourself to keep that pace with a watch. For instance you feel you can run X:XX/mile. Mark out 1/4 mile or half mile increments with landmarks. Or just roughly figure out how apart some good landmarks are and figure out what your time should be for that pace at that marker. You'll probably find out that you are almost sprinting relative to your pace at first and going much slower towards the end. You'll wear yourself out too early and this will kill the distances you can run. I felt like I had to slow myself down a lot for that first X distance until you get into your grove (your hear rate goes up, start breaking more labored and rhythmic). It's much easier to pace once you've warmed up but you don't want that to happen too quickly. That helped me a lot on improving my distances at first.

Past that another I can say is don't be discouraged by the seemingly short distance right now. If you run regularly you should gain a lot of endurance within the first month or two. Your muscles will become more efficient and not need as much oxygen so you won't get acid build up and fatigued (sore) as quickly.

Another thing, maybe you’re just not made to be a long distance runner. That’s fine. If you are doing cardio for some time on a regular basis and keeping your hear rate up for a significant amount of time that’s fine. So what if you run 10 minute miles and you can only run two miles after a few months. Do that every other day and you’ll be a lot healthier than most people.

On an unrelated note, large_rx7, you work at HRA right? Which group? I work for Nissin Brake now at our R&D center. Just wondering.