It's GONE!

DangBruhY

Did you think I was talking about my bike? :)

My cast is finally off. I'm now trying to get strength back in my hand. As soon as I do, I'll be back on the iron horse riding my ass off.

If you've ever broken your hand, you would know that you lose serious strength in your hand, while it's in the cast. I can grip the throttle... I just can't hold on. :(

I can't wait to ride again. I'll be contacting everyone when I'm ready.

awsome man! I know how it feels I have not been able to ride for 2 weeks now b/c of a boxers fracture. No fun! I do have the advantage of having a slipnt that I can take off and do physical therapy stuff with instead of losing my strength so when this thing does come off permanently I will be ridding asap.

Good to hear, Dang! I am 2 months removed from having my cast off, also on the throttle hand. I rode my bike around the neighborhood that night, but it was a few days before I would take even the shortest commutes, usually back and forth to work. My hand still isn't 100%, not that it probably ever will be. At 35, shit just doesn't heal like it used to. But I am done with PT for ROM and back to the gym Monday!

All I can say is take your time, and do your stretches. Those tendons take a lot longer than muscles to get back into shape, and if you build up the muscle beforehand, the muscle will overcompensate for the tendons and your range of motion will be reduced damn near permanently, unless you tear one and have surgery, at which point you are starting all over.

Good luck!

Try having your leg immobilized for 2 months. i had a mary kate/ashley leg for awhile. Rehab SUCKS. good luck work hard and give the rehab kids shit. they're used to little old ladies being compliant. if you want something different voice it forcefully. ive been through it quite a few times since high school.

Good to hear, Dang! I am 2 months removed from having my cast off, also on the throttle hand. I rode my bike around the neighborhood that night, but it was a few days before I would take even the shortest commutes, usually back and forth to work. My hand still isn't 100%, not that it probably ever will be. At 35, shit just doesn't heal like it used to. But I am done with PT for ROM and back to the gym Monday!

All I can say is take your time, and do your stretches. Those tendons take a lot longer than muscles to get back into shape, and if you build up the muscle beforehand, the muscle will overcompensate for the tendons and your range of motion will be reduced damn near permanently, unless you tear one and have surgery, at which point you are starting all over.

Good luck!

So this crap is going to take 2 months to heal up? You've GOT to be kidding me? I can't wait that long. I was thinking maybe a week before I would be able to ride my bike...

I have been riding the whole time, but like anything else, I had to build up some endurance. I still have scar tissue issues in the hand between the carpal bones. At first, I could ride for about an hour, but then it would either start to throb really bad, or go numb. Hell, I would ride to PT. A lot depends on where your breaks were, too. I had two metacarpals that were broke clean in 2, and two bones in the back of my hand with fractures in them. The two wrist bones are the ones that have limited my range of motion. If your breaks were in a different place, then maybe you can get back at it faster. My ortho surgeon said that the scar tissue will continue to generate for 6-9 months after in initial injury, but then begin to break down after that. I have been working in my garage all weekend, and I can tell you that from all the activity with my hand, the areas with scar tissue are swollen worse than they have been all week.

Do what you can, just listen to your body. This isn't like grunting out a sore joint or a sore muscle. Take it from someone who has spent more time in PT this year than out of it. (I had microfracture surgery on my left knee in January.)

HAHAHAHAHA The ortho Dr didn't set me up with any PT sessions. I even asked him and he acted like I didn't need it. I do have a lot of strength in my other fingers, but my hand is still swollen and aches at times. (Mostly when I'm trying to stretch it)