Buying a car in Germany

ShoMeSomeFun

Alright in 7 months Ill be PCSn to Germany for 3 years and am starting to think about what kind of car i want to purchase. Does anyone have expeirence or advice on where, what, how much any car costs compared to here and what you would like to buy. My monthly income will be in the ball-park of 2,300 dollars after rent, so shoot me ideas and suggestions on what would be an ideal car for that budget. Thanks.

arent you the guy that has the Merc cosworth if so how is that workin out realibilty wise, and all the perks of owning it.

-250k miles and counting. Keep up on the regular maintainence and it'll will keep up on the performing.

-Perks?

A; it's dead sexy

B; best handling car I've ever driven, bar none.

C; easy on the gas

D; Great interior, all the gizmo's you'd expect of a 2006 car, and a lap timer.

E; People constantly asking me about it. :p

Comes in a few flavors:

2.3 16v

2.5 16v

2.5 16v Evo I

2.5 16v Evo II

The european models get more power, between 190 and 235 hp, all N/A. DTM motors make 450hp @ 12,000 rpm on the same hardware. They'z strong. :D

My brother is stationed in Germany and just replaced his 1995 Saturn (shipped over with him) for a 2003 A4 Quattro with the 3.0L V6 and a 5spd. He really loves the car. I drove a turbodiesel Lancia in Italy and was quite impressed with the performance for a diesel.

If economy is a consideration, try to get and tweak a turbodiesel :)

Why not buy something NEW through military car sales? I know several people including myself that have saved $5k+ on a new BMW. Talk to Terry @ www.pentagoncarsales.com/ and he will take care of you on a new car.

Otherwise I would be careful on what you buy especially if you plan on bringing it back to the states when your time is up. You may also want to check on your pay because that doesn't sound right unless you are a E1-2 or something. COLA should be another $1k or more depending on your location.

Where are you going to be stationed and what branch?

I would just buy a cheap car $1k or less and put the money in savings or put it in another account and pay cash for a NEW E92-M3 for when you come home. That or get a bike to terrorize the autobahn on..... :)

i was told cola is 600 over there, yea i did think about economy and a turbo-diesel did come to mind. Im in the air force and ill be stationed at Ramstein and my current rank is E-4. I guess ill be installing fixed satellite systems all over USAFE over there so its a change compared to the combat comm unit ive been in.

I think COLA is more than $600 but I'm not 100%. Ramstein is a great base and you'll love it there. I have been there many times and my parents live just South of there. Do you know if you have to live in the dorms or are you married? Did you test for SSgt this year or have a line #?

Also if you plan to buy a motorcycle, GO GET YOUR LICENSE NOW while you're in the states. It is next to impossible to get it when you get there unless you want to spend $$$$ for it. Even then, the commanders are iffy about it with all the motorcycle deaths in the military lately.

You don't really need to worry about the gas as much because you can get ESSO coupons on base so it's the same price or close to in the states. As long as you take the coupons to a gas station that accepts them off base, you pay the same price as on base. Lots of little things like that that will save you money over the local economy prices (EURO).

Lots of options, just shoot me an email if you have any questions. I'm also deployed with a guy from Ramstein so I can ask him anything you want.

Later,

Josh