Where to look for houses...

KlubFoot

My apartment lease is up in a few months and I would really like to find a nice little first house type of deal. I'd like to find something smaller, with at least a small yard, garage, updates, etc. I'm going to be looking in the $115k or lower ballpark, and since my girlfriend goes to Ohio Dominican and I work off of west 5th ave, we'd like to keep our choices in the Westerville, Gahanna, Worthington, German Village, Grandview, Clintonville and possibly Grove City areas. If you have any reccomendations as where to look for multiple listings please let me know. Also, if you know of anyone with a house for sale please let me know as well. Thanks.

Just to let you know, if you look at a house that has a realtor listing it, there will be a commission to the realtor. Wether you pay it, or part of it, or none of it, somone is paying the realtor.

Its just how the system works.

But youare in luck. People are desperate to unload their houses now that it is taking an average 6 months to sell a house now, as oppposed to 3 months.

http://www.mls.com

http://www.forsalebyowner.com

If you can wait until the end of the year, you will be able to get people to knock prices way down. The housing bubble that has been building for the last few years just burst, and over the next couple months, year, whatever, people are going to be finding out they nobody wants to buy now. This means that sellers will be getting rather desperate to unload.

As for your price range, I doubt you will find anything in Worthington, German Village or Grandview. I know for a fact that it's easy to find houses for $100k and below in Westerville, most of the houses in that area in that price range were built around the 1950's so keep in mind you may want to update the electrical system if you buy there. I don't know so much about the other areas you listed.

For websites, try out Craigslist and realtor.com. Just make sure you keep Mapquest around to check the location, I've found its easy to find a house that looks like a great deal, but ends up being in a shit location.

Anything in Clintonville, unless it's a dump, will be over that price range.

+1, even the dumps in clintonville go for $250,000. no joke... The closer to the outerbelt you get the better off you are as far as the price/quality ratio (unless its dublin).

Royal Manor area in Gahanna will probably fit the bill pretty well. I just sold my house for $125,000 and it is one of the larger ones in the area and has a 2 car garage and fenced yard. I know there is a smaller house on the other side of the block that is currently listed I think for $117,900, but I don't think it has a garage. The really good thing about Royal Manor is that you can list Gahanna schools, and when it comes to resale, schools can be a big swing factor. I know there are several houses in my neighborhood for sale, and like it was stated before, some of them have been on the market for a while. The neighborhood was built from '60 or '61 to about '63-'64. Most of the houses have fenced yards, and you have really easy access to Easton.

yep...royal manor would be good for you...close to school/work

right now, as stated, the housing market sucks for sellers...my dad has had his house up for 6 months or more, and cant do anything about it...its a big house in a good area of gahanna (hunters ridge), but i think the size is actually hurting him...the only peopel the house appeals to (realistically) is a couple with a big family. its 5 br, 2.5 bath, semi finished basement (had to tear carpet up a while back) on i think 1/3 acre...someone with 1-2 kids isnt going to need the extra 2-3 bedrooms.

also, it may be a little higher than what you are looking to spend, but blacklick, right off waggoner (waggoner go north, turn left on dolmen before the tracks) theres 4-5 houses right next to each other for sale...not sure what theyre going for, but they look like good newer starter homes

The housing bubble that has been building for the last few years just burst,

There is no bubble in Columbus, just a slowing market. The bubble is in places like Virginia, Maryland, New York, Mass, Connecticut, Arizona, Californa etc...

We did a big study on it in one of my classes, big misconception that has been aided by the media that the whole country has a housing bubble that is bursting, while in reality it is in a few already high priced areas

+1, even the dumps in clintonville go for $250,000. no joke... The closer to the outerbelt you get the better off you are as far as the price/quality ratio (unless its dublin).

shit i guess i live in a dump then lol.. the house closes to high street go for less due to the constant traffic but in all we can all hear it especailly the train tracks...

Another one for Royal manor. Been here since '99 and haven't really had any issues. I got my house at a steal though (94K). I put a few things in and some drywall and it's up to about 125k now.

There are TON's of houses for sale in this sub division. 50% are for rent though.