Tinman, and anyother RX-7 guys

Rally Pat

There is an FC for sale on craigslist that I have been looking at. The guy says it "needs a new engine", which I took to mean that it must have a blown apex seal or something. If I were to buy it, should I A.) Fix the engine in it or B.) Swap in a V8. And if its the V8 option, how hard is it to do?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he know what the failure with the motor is?

The V8 swap would yeild a relatively high hp motor/low cost option,and Matt (Tinman) has sussed it out pretty well.

A 13b rebuilt motor with turbo/fuel/porting and supporting mods will yeild big power but will cost double.If you could own it really cheap it would be a fun project.

This is the actual car: http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/206096155.html

As you can see, he doesnt give much input into what is actually wrong with it.

I was messing around with it on Google when I found this: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

This guy really inspired me to start thinking about a V8 swap. Like that dude, I have nothing against the rotary engine, but I am all for something different. I have seen all sorts of swaps into these things, and this seems like it is the most fun and cost effective of all of them.

you can buy the k member kits for around $1200. I think that price is kinda high for a car with a dead motor. I have seen a couple running FCs that looked alot better than that for the same price. There were 2 up in Sandusky at a small dealership, a red one and a white one 3 months back.

What do you guys think is more expensive generally, an LS1 or an LT1? Because the guy in the above link used an LT1/t56 combo. I wouldnt really want a carbed engine due to fuel economy.

There are also the Ford swaps, but I heard those were harder. Not sure if that is true or not. I am not really partial to Chevy or Ford.

Try taking a look at http://www.torquecentral.com. You will get all kinds of ideas around there. I am in the process of building a 383 stroker for an FC and torquecentral.com answered alot of questions I have had.

lol literally not more than 10 seconds before having refreshed this thread, I loaded up Torquecentral, having read about it on that cardomain page.

You won't regret installing a LS1, LT1, or just about any motor dare I even say a another rotary into an FC.They are very capable chassis and have a decent aftermarket. I would chose another car though, the 86s had more rust issues then the later FCs and that one is worth $500 at best.

I am not a big FB fan. I think they are cool and everything, I just wouldnt want to own one. The FC is a car I can see myself driving every day, and not looking like I only spent a grand on it.

I am going to keep shopping, though. If any of you guys could let me know if you find any FC's that are in good shape and are cheap and at least will run until I get all the parts together for a swap, that would be great.

Eric: What about buying a carbed engine first, then buing one of those EFI conversion kits?

Oh and apex seals are a bitch to replace i hear. i don't know much about 13b's, more 12a's. 13b-REW in it?

Yeah those pushing those apex seals back in with the motor assembled is a real bitch. Worse if it's a turbo! All kidding aside, I can assemble a 13b REW long block in less that 2 hours, by myself. It's actually much easier than a assembling a piston motor.

There is very very little difference between a 12a and a 13b short block, other than the size of the components (non-interchangable).

If you get something carburated, the swap will be easier.

Not so true. EFI swaps are easier and sometimes cheaper as most of the existing fuel system will be reused. There are only 8 or so wire splices that need to be made between a GM PCM and the RX7's harness.

I havent ruled out the rotary option yet, just trying to brainstorm ideas. My main argument is price. As far as I can tell, it would cost a lot more for me to squeeze power out of the existing 13b than it would be to just put another engine in it. You can blame this on greedy tuner companies.

"You know you own an RX-7 if you've taken apart and put back together your entire engine and still dont know what a valve is." <- clbsinvaders told me that joke

Edit: Tinman - Yeah, the guy who built the above car didnt seem to have much trouble with all of the wiring. He just put the V8's ECU where the Mazda one used to be, and he wired up everything else with little trouble.

What do you guys think is more expensive generally, an LS1 or an LT1? Because the guy in the above link used an LT1/t56 combo. I wouldnt really want a carbed engine due to fuel economy.

There are also the Ford swaps, but I heard those were harder. Not sure if that is true or not. I am not really partial to Chevy or Ford.

LTI is fuel injected. It's also far cheaper than an LS1 setup, and many of the parts are interchangable with SBC's. If money is an issue, an LT1 is a good way to go.

Damn I tried to bid on one a minute aago but I was outbid. I looked all over for your phone number to let you know. I was going to buy it and offer it to you. I figured if you didnt want it I would have no problem getting rid of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200033180120

Mess of thoughts. the 13b is the larger, more powerful of the two in the RX-7's. 12a=1.1L, 13b=1.3L 12a=carb'd 13b=FI...6 port correct?i know the rotors and rotor housings are larger as well in the 13b.

LOL. He works on Rotary's for a living.

Mess of thoughts. the 13b is the larger, more powerful of the two in the RX-7's. 12a=1.1L, 13b=1.3L 12a=carb'd 13b=FI...6 port correct?i know the rotors and rotor housings are larger as well in the 13b.

Basically yeah. But only the 84-91 non-turbo 13Bs are 6 port. The 13Bs rotors, and rotor housings are wider than their 12A counterparts, but the diameter is the same. The letter in the engine code stands for the width. The 12A rotors also have a funky directional combustion chamber bowl.

LOL. He works on Rotary's for a living.

;)