insuring a salvage title car?

evan9381

so with the hail storm, insurance said that my car will probably be totaled out. they said i could buy it back for whatever the average of 2-3 junkyard quotes is. i was thinking since its cosmetic, maybe 1k or so...well, i called pick n pull tonight for shits and giggles, and they offered me 270$ if i take it to them. i cant imagine that many other places are going to offer a lot for it...i will probably buy it from insurance, demod it, and keep it for a while, maybe use it and go back to delivering pizza part time to save up some $$

now when i buy it back, they said i will have a salvage title for it. how does insurance companies look at insuring a salvage title vehicle? its only cosmetic, dents on the panels, but nonetheless, its been totalled.

thanks in advance

how much did you pay for insurance on it? currently, due to my car being financed, im paying 180/mo on my dads plan (since hes on the title as well as a cosigner). i called safe auto a couple months back about my own policy, and they said 220 to insure me. i guess since theres not going to be a lein on it from the finance company, that should lower the amount some...

my tbird with 82k on it was only $50 buy back I almost laughed in the bitches face. I paid 1200 for the car got hit three weeks later and they tell me $2496 -50 bucks and its yours heres a check for 2446...lol I had to get a salvage title and they even paid me for doing that. I never told the insurance, and they didnt even question it when i renewed my tags.

our honda just got totaled and when the ins. adjuster came out and looked at it he said it was in very nice shape for a 92 that had 222000 miles on it and would note that on the ins. paper work.

well to make a long story short they call and offered us 3200.!!!

hell i bought the car for 200.00 and it had some front damage, which i fixed and it looked new again. but they didnt know that...he he..

so i said cool i will accept that and ask them what the buy back was and he said 280.00...well of course i said i would buy it back because the only damage was to the tail lights and r/r rim got bent...100.00 fix if that being i work at a tire shop so all i need is tail lights. and now my girl thats getting ready to start driving will have a car.

i did hear something and i dont know how true it is but i heard if the title goes thru 4 names it gets changed back to a regular title...can anyone answer this?

I think you will be fine, the only thing is they will want to take pictures of it as a record of the damage, and unless you conpletely repair the damage, and have them reinspect the car, if there is more hail damage latter on, they will not cover it.

well im not concerned about fixing the hail damage, and im not really out to scam the insurance, so that wont be a problem

as for the junkyard, thats what PnP told me, so i doubt any others would be much more. they said what they will do if i want to take the car is they will get the junkyard offers, average it out, if i want to buy it, they will cut a check for the value of the car, minus the junkyard offer, theyll write a check to hyundai motor finance co for that amount, id pay the junkyard offer and i'd get a salvage title.

unfortunately i owe ~7,900 on it, but i have gap insurance...i wont be making any money off it like couple of the cars on here, but i wont have to come out of pocket much extra

i did hear something and i dont know how true it is but i heard if the title goes thru 4 names it gets changed back to a regular title...can anyone answer this?

i thought i heard something similar but wasnt sure

Guest oldgoat

My last salvage car was about 8 years ago, simple process then, just don't forget you can only get a "Rebuilt Salvage Title". Forget the three renewal rollover--that can't be done in Ohio or even state to out of state.

So take care of your financial duties, get the salvage title and take the car to a state inspection facility (My last salvege car had to go to Deleware to be inspected), (if the damage is only cosmetic, they don't care - just that it meets all safety - Includes glass" , serial number, etc. guidelines) They issue the "Rebuilt Salvage title" paperwork, and you go get the roadworthy title.

Re-insure for the minimum - - to include "fire theft".

My Ins. company allows me to drop all coverage except "D" and I store my summer driven truck and cars for less than $10.00 for 6 months legal coverage by law.

well looking through our underwriting rules for Ohio I don't see anything about salvaged titles. If its not a problem with nationwide I don't see it being a issue elsewhere. But if you call anyone for a quote let them know upfrom that it is salvaged.

im w/ nationwide now, but due to my dad being quite shady when it comes to money, i would rather get my own policy now. ive been on his since its cheaper and he has to maintain coverage due to being a cosigner, but every month he trys to get me to pay more money and uses different excuses...its dumb

ill call a couple places today and see what they say

Guest drumer919
Sorry to ask a different question in this thread but its semi-related. How would I go about getting a title on a car that dosent have a title? I got the car from someone in Indiana and I never got a title, what can I do about getting a new one?