My gauges don't work....and my car smokes

Bam

My gauges in the mustang don't work. The speedo is off, but I think that's to do with the gears/tires. The tach bounces like its its job, and my fuel gauge doesn't move off E. Anyone have any clues on how to fix these issues? The speedo I could care less about, I'll either racing or cruising with traffic, the tach I'm planning on getting a separate unit w/ shift light, but the gas gauge I'd really like to have use of, what should I check first?

Also, the car smokes.....BAD. Fills the cabin w/ smoke and makes your eyes water, lol, plus last night a few people complained about it when they were behind me. :D Anywho, its black/grey smoke, what should I check/do first? The car seems to run fine.

Thanks

All Fords do that....it's normal.

Just kidding man - could not resist.

Sounds like you have a boatload of problems there. I would start with the smoke. What is strange is it is in the cabin. I would have your exhaust checked - it could be dangerous if it is pumping that stuff right into the cabin.

All Fords do that....it's normal.

Just kidding man - could not resist.

Sounds like you have a boatload of problems there. I would start with the smoke. What is strange is it is in the cabin. I would have your exhaust checked - it could be dangerous if it is pumping that stuff right into the cabin.

Well the car is nowhere near stock, and the exhaust dumps straight out under the car basically where the door ends, so that doesn't help, but I do want to figure out why its smoking so much. I'm going to put turn-down's on the exhaust, but still, it shouldn't smoke this much.

How much oil are you putting in it? If you want to do the job yourself start from the problem and work your way back. A manual for your car would be a big help to. Look at the step-by-step and if it looks like you cant do it take it to a mechanic.

pull the vacum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and see if gas is spraying out of the hole

the guages first check the dash panel and make sure the wires are plugged in tight after that start checking grounds...

as already stated a good ford factory repair manual can go a long way in helping you trouble shoot.....

I've got a haynes manual...I just was looking for suggestions before I read the entire thing. I bought a FPR and gauge today, so when I pull the stocker out, I'll check that dave, if so what's it mean?

Brian, I put 4.5qts in it when I changed the oil, sound right?

4.5 qts is actually a little low if you also changed the filter

if the fuel pressure regulator goes bad it can suck fuel right into the motor through the vacum hose and make it smoke

Yup, do you have to keep putting oil in it? The way your car was spitting out smoke it looked like you either had too much oil, the regulator was bad, or the car was not burning gas properly. Actually does the car backfire at all?

I haven't had to add oil in 2 weeks of some driving, I actually checked it while out and it looked fine. I'm 99% sure its fuel, hopefully the regulator, otherwise maybe the car needs tuned just for gas consumption.

I can add oil, but I didn't think it needed more on the dipstick. I'm going to secure the dipstick neck to the block this week, but it also looked like something was spurting off every once in awhile from the block/engine bay. Maybe powersteering fluid/something on the driversside engine bay, since that side was coated with fluid after sat night. The steering yoke/header was greasy/filmy after racing, not sure why.

What should my fuel pressure be at with the head/cam package? I've heard stock, higher and lower, i'm lost. I bought an adjustable one and a gauge that mounts to it, I'm not sure how to install it but Im going to figure it out this week hopefully.

I also think the 02 sensors need replaced, which could also affect my air/fuel ratio and the IACV valve. I'm looking to buy all that this week before the track.

thanks guys. If anyone is free saturday all day or sunday morning before 11am, lmk, I'd greatly appreciate a 2nd opinion on the car.

I also think the 02 sensors need replaced, which could also affect my air/fuel ratio and the IACV valve. I'm looking to buy all that this week before the track.

thanks guys. If anyone is free saturday all day or sunday morning before 11am, lmk, I'd greatly appreciate a 2nd opinion on the car.

I personally took the easy route and had people with more experience like Lasota do the work (well worth it too! +1 for Lasota Racing). If I'm free Saturday I might stop by to see whats up with it. Based on your miles per gallon, rpm at cruising/wot, and #injectors we can tell if it is burning more gas than it should. They may be injecting too much gas causing it to spew black smoke. The first mod you should get is an exhaust system. No matter if the smoke is black or transparent it will still be in the cockpit. You can go and get some exhaust tubing, and the material to hang it properly for very cheap. Jegs also has mandrel bent tubing for sale so you can piece together an entire system yourself. I would suggest mufflers as well but the important thing is to have the exhaust exiting further back.

Well the car does have headers and 2.5" duals w/ an H pipe. The reason it ends just before the rear end is because the piping is too large to go over the rear end, and it would hinder performance to go smaller tubing. I'm looking to put some turn-downs on the exhaust tips, but not much I can do in terms of lengthening it. If it didn't smoke, it wouldn't be so bad.

This is only my weekend/race car, I have a daily so I'm not concerned with noise, etc, but I agree, the smoke coming in the cabin sucks and isn't safe.

The car has a 73mm MAFS and 24lb injectors, I *think* it is calibrated to work together, not sure though. No clue to see how I get gas mileage wise, since I'm not sure how much gas is in the car/how much I use since the gauge doesn't move.

I also can't tell if fuel is coming out the exhaust since it ends right under the middle of the car, maybe I'll have a friend lay next to the car and I'll rev it to see whats up.

Another friend thought it might be blow-by, what's that mean?

Oh yeah I forgot the gas gauge doesnt work :( . Thats wierd that you get smoke inside because my cutout is open before my rear tires as well, but I rarely smell exhaust.

A blow-by is when gases get mixed with oil somehere by the piston rings and into the crank case. Look up crankcase/blow-by for a more detailed description and what to use to filter it.

get the little filter that goes under it also from napa 1.49 they clog and make um blow oil sometimes....

I wouldn't set the fuel pressure any higher than 30psi at idle

I just saw this post and didn't know about the little filter, but I can pick it up this week. The adj FPR I bought it only from 35-65psi, and in my haynes manual it said stock FPR should be 30-45psi, so that worried me a little bit. Should return it or what?

I tried to put the new regulator in, but its in a tight spot, the allen screws are upside down, and it just didn't work, anyone have any tips for changing this?

While I was screwing around with this, I found a few loose, hanging wires, vaccum lines, and then one fuel line, I was like wtf. Its big enough to fit my finger in it and it looks like it is supposed to go straight down into the block, I see the hole, and I can put it in, but it doesn't stay in, plus it reeks of gas and I know it's not supposed to be hanging out.

I also couldn't find the location of the PCV, my haynes just said how to check/replace it, but didn't tell me the placement of it, where is it on this car?

I pulled the inertia switch and released the fuel pressure in the lines to do the regulator, but didn't get it finished.

Is anyone free tonight/tomorrow daytime? Or maybe friday night or anytime saturday?

I also pulled the front drivers wheel and started to replace the stud, but I think they gave me the wrong one or something, and I noticed a caliper bolt was half out, so that was cool...NOT.

Maybe I shouldn't take this car out to the track or out at all until I have a chance to comb over it 100%, this car was NOT put back together well, everything is finger tight, not tightened all the way down, etc, fucking people.

pull the fuel rail to change the regulator mm&ff recomends 27psi on n/a cars and I can see why my stock regulator had me at 41 psi with pressure reduced the motor feels stronger fuel mileage is up and the gas smell is almost gone

ah ok, do I have to disconnect the injectors and all that? will it come out with the upper manifold still on?